Want to get certified, trying to lose weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heatheroe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I told my trainer the #1 reason I wanted to lose weight is to get scuba certified. I've been told I don't really HAVE to lose weight but the last time I dove was in Bonaire during a DSD course and I had on 20lbs of weight and I still floated. I'm about 5'7" and weigh 238. I've been steadily putting on weight for the last 10 years or so and haven't had much success at losing. I'm afraid my thyroid condition is going to make it very difficult for me to lose. I've been working with my trainer for about 3 weeks now and while I feel better and more engergized and my cardio is slowly improving, nothing's moving on the scale. I'm also going to start swimming again.

I'm REALLY bouyant. I can in a float in a pool or the ocean without using any floatation device. I really did not enjoy having all the equipment, tank, weights, etc. I felt huge, heavy and very cumbersome on the deck and in the water.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Disclaimer: I'm not a woman.

I've dropped just over 40 pounds in the last couple of years. The key to success for me was a support system. My wife and I are in it together, and our friends and (adult) children have been very supportive. Try to enroll everyone in your life into helping you lose weight. That may mean your friends and family change the way the eat or the restaurants they choose when they are hanging out with you; if you specifically ask them the people who really care about you will be happy to adjust. If some won't help then you probably need to avoid them, being around people who have poor eating habits will quickly sabotage your own progress.

We started with Weight Watchers which will certainly get anyone on the right track, and now we do ordinary calorie counting. There are very good computer and smartphone apps that make calorie counting pretty easy: we like My Fitness Pal. Increasing my exercise level has also been really important but it sounds like you are already on the right track with that. There is no getting around the fact that scuba equipment is heavy when you're not in the water, and simply being stronger will make a big difference.

Remember that both weight loss and fitness improvement are slow steady processes, it's not going to happen overnight.

Disclaimer: I’m neither a woman nor especially heavy, but have had several loved ones who were both.

Be encouraged by the fact that your cardio is improving. I suspect your strength is also. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so lack of movement on the scale does not necessarily mean you aren’t improving. Be proud of your progress.

For some of my close lady friends, fitness for scuba, and fitness in general, was a sufficient goal. The scale became a happy side effect. The most successful ones made lifestyle changes to include healthy eating and regular exercise-like activities such as swimming or hiking.

best wishes,

k

I'm really overweight as well, in fact after losing 130lbs this past year I'm still a good bit heavier than you. I was nearly 400lbs when I did my OW class. I'm also about 16lbs positive with no gear. That hasn't changed after losing the 130! Exercise, maybe consider medical weight loss stuff. I did lap band surgery, hence the dramatic loss in less than a year. I did NAUI cert and the buoyancy helped me with some of the watermanship skills like passing the lead around, and the long swim which were super easy for me. Swimming underwater for 60' was real tough but I did it, and learned a good bit about swimming in the process.

My point is diving is possible if you want to do it. Wear some lead and/or do something like a BP/W with steel plate and maybe a steel tank to help weigh you down. I switched to BP/W because I like the extra freedom of movement, and I didn't want to have to stack so much lead. I didn't buy a steel tank for the weight, but because my SAC is high and I wanted to match my more experienced dive buddy on dive times. During class you will likely have to use the gear that is provided in class, but there are many options out there when you decide to buy your own.

As far as general exercise is concerned I absolutely hate it. It's mind numbing to sit somewhere and do something repeatedly. You're moving too much to try and read, I don't do tv much... you get the idea. Find an exercise that you will want to do for fun. I've found hiking really turns my wheels; also swimming is totally doable for me (except in the winter). One more thing to note. The first couple weeks I started exercising it was a horribly unpleasant experience. I still think people who think going to the gym "feels good" must be smoking something special in the locker room afterward. However, after getting into even slightly better cardiovascular shape it's not nearly as bad. I'm doing 1mi at 4mph now without getting winded.

Also, the scales with electronic pads on them are supposed to be able to determine how much of your weight is body fat vs muscle. They aren't very expensive - you might want to try one of those so you know more about what's going on as you exercise.

Last edited:
I also suffer from thyroid disease. Make sure you see an endocrinologist to ensure proper treatment. For years my Internist was monitoring my hormone levels and making adjustments. I ended up in the hospital a few Thanksgivings ago due to incorrect Synthroid levels which caused heart palpitations and hair loss. On top of it all, I am a nurse and knew something was not right, but was reassured that my levels were within normal limits. Finally, I obtained copies of my lab values and saw an endocrinologist who drastically changed my medications. Now my levels run on the lowish side of the normal range which seems to suit me, unfortunately, I don't shed the pounds as easily and the scale can be unforgiving.

Getting your thyroid in order first(for several, consecutive months) would be my top priority. Any underlying disease can make you more prone to DCS. Congratulations on your decision to get certified and working towards getting in shape. It is never easy, but the rewards will be tremendous. Hang in there!

Last edited:
No advice, but my experience, take it for what it is worth. When I was certified, I weighed about 200 lb. 2 1/2 years ago I changed my diet and began practicing Bikram Yoga 1-5 times a week. I cut out bread, pasta, rice, and white potatoes, as well as cookies, candies, cakes, and all sugary drinks. I also don't eat any meat, fish, or poultry. My protein comes from nuts, seeds, legumes, eggs, and cheese. I always take the stairs rather than the elevator or escalator. I park as far away as possible and walk. I am constantly working on my strength, balance, endurance, and stretch my muscles often. I eat oatmeal and plain yogurt in the morning, soup and or salad or some other vegetable based lunch (like hummus or baba ganoush on wasa crackers), for dinner I eat eggs or cheese or legumes and veggies. I supplement with nuts and nut butters. I drink as much water or sparkling water as possible. For the last two years I have maintained a consistent weight of about 135 lb. I would love to be thinner and firmer, but it probably ain't happening. Depending on my exposure suit, I carry about 6-12 lb of weight. Good luck and be kind to yourself.

When I started diving 7 yrs ago, I was 230 lbs at 5'6". In a 3mm wetsuit, in freshwater, it would take 14 lbs to get me down. One thing new divers do not think about when it comes to weighting is the amount of air that is held in the lungs subconsciously. It is a natural reflex to hold one's breath when the face is submerged;the air acts as positive buoyancy. This may be 1 reason for the difficulty. I teach my students to exhale to the point it almost hurts & to not kick on the descent. Last summer I began losing weight. Not really trying, but was so busy that I usually had no time to eat, or if I did only a little, especially when teaching OW. The pounds came off without even realizing it & I was having a blast. I have started trying to get more exercise especially at work by doing the stairs & plan on hitting the treadmill very soon to become even more fit. You mentioned a Thyroid problem & that you were working with your trainer,.... Are you also working with your Dr. on this? It would be between you & your Dr, but maybe a slight alteration in your medications may help you a bit. I'm not a Dr, not there & I know nothing of your condition, but it may be an avenue to explore. Biggest thing,

Keep up the good work!:blinking:

I'm a guy too.

But since scuba is all leg work, I'd suggest you should consider swimming as high on your exercise list. That said, lots of folks just can't swim well (me included) so I bought a stroke tube ala Finis Swimmers Snorkel 1.05.009.48 with reviews at scuba.com

....which is a snorkel that comes infront of your face and over the top of your head (not to the side as do snorkeling snorkels). That allows you to eliminate the need to move your head to breath and you can then concentrate on the actual arms and leg mechanics of swimming. Or add a set of fins and your now using your pool time to work on your scuba fining and getting a work out at the same time. Something to consider.

For me what I eat made a bid difference. In general eating customs in north america are very unhealthy and on average the food is of very low quality. You really have to watch what you eat.

If you go to a supermarket just pay attention to what people who are not overweight buy and what overweight people buy. You will see a huge difference.

I am a woman, but have not been diagnosed with thyroid issues, I have friends who do and it seems like staying on top of this with your doctor is crucial for your health and well being.

I was a similar position and was able to get very fit over the course of about a year before certification. Scuba was a great motivator - plus as I am sure you know or will know soon, everything is easier (and more fun) when you are in good shape. I think as long as you are sticking with a structured well thought out plan that you can actually stick with (nothing too crazy that you won't be ale to do for a long time), that you just have to keep on keepin on and let time be on your side. The good news is if you are challenging yourself to become more fit, you will be a safer diver, and the weight loss will come with time and perseverance.

I have sustained two pretty crappy accidents ( both fluke things) and broke my right elbow and dislocated my knee over the past two summers - this has really hurt my ability to exercise (which helps a lot with cardiac fitness and just general stress relief - which of course reduces stress eating) so I have gained more back than I would like and of course my cardiac fitness has suffered (no running for awhile - ouch!). I am now doing low impact stuff like swimming, biking, and walking. Anyway, I feel your pain and am proud of you for making an effort to increase your fitness. Unfortunately and fortunately, it just has to be a lifetime goal in progress to stay fit and keep the weight off.

That being said if you have improved fitness and are still struggling with your weight you can still dive, and I would highly recommend the BPW route - adjustable for when you do have fluctuations in your size and also helps with the weight issue. I am pretty buoyant and needed about 14 lbs to get down in a 3mm when I was in good fighting shape (albeit a new diver) in a jacket BCD. With a BPW, I was able to cut way way back and most of the weight is on your back which is IMO much much more comfortable to deal with.

HANG IN THERE _ YOU CAN DO THIS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom