Wanting to Dive in July in Lake Lanier GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could see some good reasons for taking the boat out there. Examples- bilateral hip replacements. Plus it does make it easier to get to the Dam! If I was doing multiple dives the boat might be worth it too. Maybe we should make some steps down to the water for easier entry.(suggest by someone out there Sat.) :)

When are you looking at going to Jocassee?

---------- Post Merged at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:10 PM ----------

It was nice to meet you Mark, Shawn, Lindi, and J.T.

Lindi, Ken, and myself had a nice dive. I will post details on our dive later. :)

But stairs would work, cuz it's a little spooky going down the rock piles. It was great to meet everyone up at the lake, and I have to admire your perseverance in getting all the gear down there and back up at the end of the dive. It really is a lot less crowded at the overlook, but getting there at 8:00AM probably does that anyway. I'm sure that it helps the viz since there isn't a million people stirring up the bottom. Drove the scooter out to Dive Haven on the Sunday after I meet you folks and that looks like a good option to get in the practice I need with some new gear configurations (like cool water diving and something other than a 3/2 wetsuit), and to check out a switch from AL80 to either a HP 100 or 120.

Also, need to really play with buoyancy after too long an absence from active diving. My former buds are all warm water divers who only considered putting on gear if we were doing 80/80s (80 degrees/80ft viz), and bailed on me on our last trip due to vertigo and clearing problems (long time since they dove as well). They snorkeled and I dove, doing solo only because it was 35' or less with no less than 50ft viz, and most at even shallower depths in the 15 foot range. Mostly worked at skills, compass work, and gear configurations.

Hope to join you folks soon.

JT

We are making the trip to Jocassee tomorrow! Dives 1-2 are off of LJDS boat! Dive 3 will depending on how everyone feels after dives 1-2, it will be on the divers ramp! I dove wet there in a three mil back in the end of May(I love my dry suit but, hate that the temps are almost 80 degrees at 8 am!) Also it's easier for me to reach jocassee than Dive Haven! :) I guess I need to find a better what then Ga 20. :)

Sounds like a great time... Have fun! I recently picked up drysuit, looking forward to learning to use it and extend my diving season. Keep me in mind if you are ever looking for someone to go with. I live in the Woodstock area.

JT,

If you're looking for a buddy to dive with at White's, I could go tomorrow morning. I could always use the buoyancy practice.

Sorry I missed your post, I have been helping my friends 84 year old Mom for the last couple of weeks on Sundays. and am out at least another week or so after a nasty root canal, until that heals. After that I'm up for a practice session on Saturday or Sunday.

---------- Post Merged at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:36 AM ----------

We are making the trip to Jocassee tomorrow! Dives 1-2 are off of LJDS boat! Dive 3 will depending on how everyone feels after dives 1-2, it will be on the divers ramp! .............Also it's easier for me to reach jocassee than Dive Haven! :) I guess I need to find a better what then Ga 20. :)

How did the trip to Jocassee go?
:depressed: If I heard right the other day, GA 20 may be the way to go, since they are going to be doing weekend road work on the North side of I-285 for a bazillion weeks. :crying:

How did the trip to Jocassee go?
:depressed: If I heard right the other day, GA 20 may be the way to go, since they are going to be doing weekend road work on the North side of I-285 for a bazillion weeks. :crying:

Lake Jocassee was great! We went out with LJDS on the boat to the junk/wall area. Then we followed up wth a dive off the ramp. Everything was awesome but my navigation skills. :D We had a new diver with us and I tried leading us from the junk to the trench and keeping up with him at the same time(epic failure sort of, we made it to the trench via a short surface swim and then I missed the exit to the dungeon):idk:

horizontal vis was 15' +/- above a depth of 50' and below the thermocline the vis was great.
temp at 48' was 78 degrees
temp at 70' was 72 degrees

Lake Jocassee was great! We went out with LJDS on the boat to the junk/wall area.

I recently experienced going to Lake Jocassee for the first time. Went on 9/22 with LJDS as well. All went well and it was great. I'm from the Atlanta area (live near Lake Lanier) & it was about a 2.5 hr drive so one of the better drives to get in some good diving. Jocassee is definitely a good place to go if you can. Was even able to take the family as well and we camped out at Devil's Fork state park all weekend so sort of killed 2 birds with one stone. All in all a good time.

mcf57 glad to see art has given you the tour of Jocassee great place to dive can't beat for a lake dive . did you dive the cemetery with Art and the gang? That is an aaasome dive . Don't forget you can dive lanier . There are some gov spots to dive there just not at WBP. Lower Over Look is good . There are some videos on you tube you can check out here is one Tony and me did [video=youtube;rNCllXW61_s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNCllXW61_s[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom