Warm Water BP/W Travel Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually eelnoraa, it"s easier & quicker to punch-cut additional inboard slots in an existing STA; the best first purchase option is to buy a proper STA (like your Deep Outdoor example), or don't even buy one at all if not really needed. . .

Get the best quality you can afford. Definitely get an aluminium BP and a 30lb lift single wing. Avoid any padding and bungee on wings. Single harness only need one set of d rings on each shoulder avoid the ones with D rings everywhere. Adds weight unnecessary. Will need an STA with it. Look at quality Halcyon or Hollis systems or Scubapro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually eelnoraa, it"s easier & quicker to punch-cut additional inboard slots in an existing STA; the best first purchase option is to buy a proper STA (like your Deep Outdoor example), or don't even buy one at all if not really needed. . .

Well, I have thought of cutting slots on my previous STA (dive rite), but I really don't have any access to tools. Like I said, I have tried many combinations, in these order
1. DR plate with DR STA, very bad
2. DR plate with STA like Halcyon/Hollis where slots are inside the bolts. Better, but my head still hit first stage
3. DR plate with no STA, plate is too flat, overall result was not better than #2
4. I realized I need move STA lower. DR plate has 2 crotch strap slot, doesn't really have room to drill holes. So I tried DSS small plate. Back then, DSS small plate didn't have the lower set of bolts. DSS plate is also very flat. Result is not better than #2
5. I conclude I need deeper band plate, small/short plate, plate with 2" crotch strap slot only so I can drill holes if needed.
At the same time I came across Deep Outdoor STA with a huge offset between slots and bolts. I figured with all these, the tank will probably be lower than I needed, but I can always mount the tank higher. So today, I have Halcyon small plate with drilled holes, DOD STA.

I think my case is a little extreme, I am small, 5'6", on skinny side, maybe short torso or short neck. Or maybe I am OCD and want things to be perfect. But for people with tank higher issue/head bumping first stage issue. This is the best solution I have arrived to today. And obviously, don't use din-to-yoke adaptor.

You should reroute hoses and have first stage pointing down not out to stop hitting head on first stage

---------- Post added September 15th, 2014 at 08:14 AM ----------

Do you have DIN regs?

My reg is Atomic, turrent pointing down since day 1. hose routing long hose coming off 5th port downward. This was not the reason my head hit the first stage.

I have both DIN and Yoke first stage. It makes no difference. But Din with yoke adapter makes thing worse

Well, I have thought of cutting slots on my previous STA (dive rite), but I really don't have any access to tools. Like I said, I have tried many combinations. ....
All you have to do (and for anyone else with an existing STA reading this with no metal work hand tools on hand) is just take take it to any machine shop and they'll gladly cut out the additional cam band slots for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom