warm-water-diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquamarin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Following numerous PM's asking me to post a thread in this forum (well one pm), here we go....

I'm SSI OW since April 2003. My story towards diving is long and complicated: I always dreamed of it, but was always too scared. My husband must have been a fish in his last life, but too cheap to get a scuba cert. After following him through his cancer disease and eventually to his death, I promised myself that I would never let physical fear stand in the way of my dreams. So I went for it on Cuba. Which is another long story.

Without any theory, confined water training or whatever - and after having seen a bcd for the first time in my life, I was asked to jump from the boat. My fear would actually have prevented me from doing so, if it hadn't been for the fact that my brother was on a different dive boat and I just couldn't come back and say that I didn't do it. He'd still be making chicken sounds today...

So I did. Jumped. Somehow I survived and after my 4th dive I actually received a theory book, which I had to read that evening, because my exam was next day. I got my certificate. And in the meantime I've also learned how to dive: through diving with my brother and listening to his criticism. My brother has taught me that every diver is responsible for him/herself and that if you cannot gear up / dive / climb back up the ladder without help, you're in the wrong place. We both have the attitude that if you cannot appreciate a dive unless there are rare and spectacular animals every 1,5 minutes, you're also in the wrong place.

I'm still a beginner with about 40 logged dives, but I'm addicted. Went to Egypt in November (my first holiday ever on my own, wouw) and obviously had to dive with people I'd never met. I felt very proud that the very experienced divers I went down with, told me they were impressed with my diving. Went right home and thanked my big bro. Had a crappy experience with a hoover one day (2 dives) - mostly because I don't like people with the I'm-the-greatest-and-don't-have-to-ever-learn-anything-in-my-life attitude.

Wouw, long intro...Anyway, off to Dubai tomorrow for business - but have of course prolonged my stay with a couple of days off to go diving end of next week. Yippie. And 3 weeks Thailand in April are booked :D Oh, and in a weak moment I have promised the local dive club to at least try one dive here in the cold, dark water. That'll have to be in the summer though :wink:

Karin

Quite the story, welcome aboard! Don't pass up the opportunity to dive in Dubai and then go to the Big waterpark next to the seven star hotel, can't remember the name of it.

Scott

Aquamarin,

Great story and accomplishment. Sorry to hear about your husband, but I am sure he is very proud of you.

Welcome to SB, this is a great place to tell your adventures, get help or general infomation about Scuba. Enjoy your trips and future diving.

Dive Smart: Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

Scott04:
Quite the story, welcome aboard! Don't pass up the opportunity to dive in Dubai and then go to the Big waterpark next to the seven star hotel, can't remember the name of it.

Scott

Thanks, Scott

...Burj al Arab - went there last year. For dinner :wink:

Unfortunately, I won't have time to dive in Dubai; work all the time. Immediately after the congress, I'll be going to Khor Fakkan on the East Coast for diving - I've heard it should be much better diving than Dubai city. Guess I'll know more very soon :)

MaresMan1:
Aquamarin,

Great story and accomplishment. Sorry to hear about your husband, but I am sure he is very proud of you.

Welcome to SB, this is a great place to tell your adventures, get help or general infomation about Scuba. Enjoy your trips and future diving.

Dive Smart: Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

Thanks for your kind words - just proves what I've always known to be true: Divers ARE nice people :wink:

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Back
Top Bottom