WARM Wetsuits for Petite Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+boxfish+

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a 3mm wetsuit that keeps warm and for a short woman. I am 4'9" and get cold real easy. While layering may help, I prefer wearing just 1 layer as much as possible. It is very difficult to find a wetsuit for this short height, and I thought about getting kids wetsuits, but I don't know if they can provide as warm as those wetsuits that are specifically made for thermo protection such as Bare Evoke. Any recommendation will be appreciated!

My wife and I both wear Henderson Thermaxx 3mm wetsuits. She is a little bit bigger than you at 5'4", but I'm fairly certain they have wetsuits that would work for you. These suits are lined with fleece and do a nice job of keeping us warm in moderate temps into the low 70s. These particular wetsuits are only sold in brick & mortar dive shops, but you should be able to go on-line to Henderson's website and take a look at them and get more information.

Good luck with your search.

I have the Bare Evoke. I'm 5'5" and the legs are a bit long for me.

Check elios wetsuits. Custom made to your measurement with top quality japanese neoprene, and very reasonable price.

I prefer a 2 piece beavertail model with integrated hood, like a freediving suit for the comfort and warmth, specially with an unlined interior.

Sounds complicated, but if you read about it online you can find good guides to choose what you need.

an unlined 3mm is more confortable and flexible than a normal 3mm, and as warm as a normal 5mm, even more with the integrated hood.

only downsides i find: takes a bit more lead as they float more, takes 20 seconds more to put on than a normal wetsuit, and some people don't like the look.

Bare Evoke sounds like it'll be too big for me then. I will check Henderson Thermaxx. If it's perfect for 5'4'', then it may still be slightly longer for me. I have never heard of Elios. I might have to go with custom made wetsuit if I can't find one that meets my length.

My wife wears a size 8 in the Thermaxx. They have them down to a size 2. I would think you can find one to fit or at least come very close in leg length.
Here's the link to the Ladies back zip. TherMaxx® Women’s Back Zip Jumpsuit • Henderson Aquatics They have a sizing chart you can click on. It is also available in a front zip if you prefer.

I've helped two of my daughters find suitable wetsuits as well as getting my own. All of us are hard to fit for various reasons.

In general there is less difference in warmth among, say, 3mm wetsuits among various manufacturers than you might think. The most meaningful difference warmth wise is how much water flows through the suit when you're diving. Good suits fit snugly, and some have "seals" that reduce flow. Some suits have hoods, which make a big difference.

Youth suits have no curves, if that describes your body shape, great, otherwise they won't fit properly.

I wear a suit similar to this one, albeit in a men's cut and 3XL. It is technically too tall for me, but the height measurement doesn't matter much with two-piece suits. Look closest at the body weight, chest, and hip measurements:

Womens 3D Ocean Blue Wetsuit 2-Piece Open Cell | MAKO Spearguns

I ended up getting my wetsuits on-line while my daughters bought theirs in a retail store. In their case it was helpful to have a wide variety of suits to try on, since the sizing and cut vary so much from one manufacturer to another.

In general we recommend being more concerned by the weight range rather than the height. If a person is a little shorter than recommended, having sleeves that are a little long is usually not too much of a problem.

For a thin suit let like 2 or 3 mm, you may even be able to roll the extra length over on to the outside, but this is often not needed.

A 3 mm freedive suit (like we carry) is probably the warmest configuration available due to the attached hood, no zippers and smooth rubber interior all work to keep water pumping from inside to out , to a minimum.

However our suits provide a double layer over the torso, if you want something approaching a single layer, our suit are designed to allow the owner to cut the top off of the fj pants and the seams etc are designed to facilitate this without running. Good luck in your search.
Dive safe
Dano

The Bare Evoke starts at a size 2 with a height of 5"2"-5'4". I would look at it as a contender. I've been really happy with my 5mm, the celliant (which I blew off as a gimmick at first) does actually do it's job and keeps me warmer for longer than expected. I love the cut on the suit and it's pretty stretchy also which helps me get it on easier.

The Bare Evoke starts at a size 2 with a height of 5"2"-5'4". I would look at it as a contender. I've been really happy with my 5mm, the celliant (which I blew off as a gimmick at first) does actually do it's job and keeps me warmer for longer than expected. I love the cut on the suit and it's pretty stretchy also which helps me get it on easier.

My 3mm and 5mm Evoke suits are a 14. I've got a 7mm on order. My 5mm is good for me down to about mid-50s for 45-50 minute dives and down to about high 40s for short periods. Love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom