Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife (then girlfriend) and I dove with Fred S. It was our first dive after getting our certifications and when he offered to be our dive buddy we accepted. We didn't have any strange incident with him however. We were a little thrown off that he asked to be our dive buddy, but we figured he just didn't want to go solo.

I have just learned a "know your dive buddy" lesson from reading this thread. I am really surprised by it, but I think that regardless of whether we had a negative experience with Fred or not I have learned (or been reminded of) an important lesson. Thanks!

lal7176:
This parking lot is freds favorite hang out along the breakwater wall or over by the deli. At least those are the two most common places i see him. ...http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=13676&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002

So then why haven't you arrested him? I would think that you as a diver and in law enforcement would have heard all the rumors and read all the posts for yourself?

Why is the Monterey PD so inactive on this issue?

And why are you the opposite of the PD in your reaction? (In other words, you seem to be aware of the problem, whereas Monterey PD is apparently doing nothing.)

raposarose:
My wife (then girlfriend) and I dove with Fred S. It was our first dive after getting our certifications and when he offered to be our dive buddy we accepted. We didn't have any strange incident with him however. We were a little thrown off that he asked to be our dive buddy, but we figured he just didn't want to go solo.

I have just learned a "know your dive buddy" lesson from reading this thread. I am really surprised by it, but I think that regardless of whether we had a negative experience with Fred or not I have learned (or been reminded of) an important lesson. Thanks!

I have never met "Fred" but I have given a fair amount of buddy-less divers premission to dive with us, and I have never had a problem with it yet. Usually these are beginners who do not have a dive group that they are associated with, or else they are travellers from out of state.

While I agree that it's always safe to be cautious, I hope this one guy doesnt ruin the general feeling I get whenever I'm at Breakwater on a busy day. The best part about helping classes there are the people around, and how friendly everyone is. Lets all just keep an eye out, watch out for each other, and it'll continue to be the greatest place to spend a weekend.

I have not been diving in Monterey since 1984 and 1985 when I was stationed at Ft. Ord. I don't remember hearing about him then but he could have been there. I was in Monterey in June and wanted to dive but didn't bring any equipment and knew my wife would not be interested due to the water temp. What was the first thing she said when she saw the water? Oh...the water is very enticing I would really like to dive here. I just about fell over. So we are headed back in November over Thanksgiving for some diving and maybe a chance to meet Fred.

LOL! Is *that* who that guy is?
On our first trip to Monterey after our cert dives, we got approached by this guy who asked to dive with us. We were eager to have someone to show us the ropes, so we agreed. However, being FRESH newbies, (still newbies, but at least now have our first twenty dives) we were also still having gear problems (heavy, hot, awkward). He asked us when we were suited up going to the water, so we said we'd meet him in the shallows (it was flat as glass that day). Waited.... waited... after twenty minutes, we see that he is SLOOOWWWWLY pulling on his suit... slowly, etc.. thirty minutes... we're getting annoyed and sunburned, and we say "ten more minutes, and sorry, but f him". So finally, we take off, sans Fred. We were at about 40 feet when Fred comes out of nowhere. I credited him with helping my boyfriend out of a tricky situation, but now I'm wondering!! He grabs Jim, and turns him around. Jim's tank strap was undone with the tank just holding in the loose loop of fabric, and Fred seals it tightly. He then takes my hand (but not Jim's) and he starts to take us out farther. We resisted because by that time, Jim was at 750 psi and we figured we needed to be up soon, not sightseeing. Fred resisted for a second, but we pulled out Jim's gauge and showed him, and he continued on in the other direction sans us. When we got out and he showed up later, we apologized for ditching him in the first place, and he gave us the dive buddy card.

However, two weeks ago, we were at Breakwater, and there he was again. Asked to be our buddy when we were almost geared up. Jim, despite the tank strap thing, was leary of him, and told him nicely, but assertively, that we were heading out before we overheated. He proceeded to park next to us and ask us a bunch of strange questions until we went to the water. Now, I think the idea of people who dive but don't yet have friends who dive asking to join in is actually an awesome one, and I've gotten a couple of "dive buddy" cards from stable, well-balanced people, which I also think is a great idea, but this guy kind of gave me the creeps in general; we wondered how he could be that old, live locally, and be in need of a buddy that often to run into us twice given all the divers, but never imagined he was infamous!!! I'm glad I didn't get my air turned off!!!

Ishie

so we have Ivan threatening the east coast and Fred stirring things up on the West coast....where is it safe to dive down there....but seriously...it does sound like this Fred is an accident waiting to happen. If there was a brand of equipment that could potentially cause injury we, I hope, would all be doing something about it...I'm surprised more isn't being done to alert local law enforcement of this pattern of behaviour...or perhaps there has been and we are unaware of it...J>

Chuck Tribolet:
While there have been persistent
rumors about him, it never seems to cross the line into
being illegal.

Grabbing someone is illegal..it is a battery. Report this sicko.

Well if all this is true someone needs to report him....

If these are just fables then let me know.. I want to add one.

JD.Gattis:
Well if all this is true someone needs to report him....

This was one of the reasons for starting this thread. Unfortunately, after talking to an officer I know, I waited too long to make a report and it would be a legal stretch to make any charges stick. However, I really believe that, if these incidents were reported immediately, something would have to be done. Too many people, including myself, having given this guy the benefit of the doubt. I say NO MORE.

Back
Top Bottom