Warning for Monterey Divers (especially women): Beware of Fred

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, Chuck. The warning that he's out there should be sufficient, without posting pictures.

Minh, I was just hoping you were not feeling enough sympathy for him that you weren't taking the potential safety issue into account. I do understand what you're saying though, about the difference between warning and bashing, and I agree that you are right.

Fuzz

Fuzz - I just felt we had enough information about Fred so that if he approached any one of us - who could figure who he was. Once we post his picture - it really serves no purpose other than to publicly humiliate him. I would not let my wife or daughter dive with Fred. However - if it was just me - I'd probably consider doing one "simple" dive with him to assess him for myself.

Beside - Fred is like Big Foot or the LocNess monster. His legend lives because no one have pictures of him. Once his pictures are post - the legend dies and this thread will cease exisiting. ;-)

Well I have nothing good to say about Fred as well. I have had numerous girlfriends that have been harrassed by this guy. He is a freak!!!! BEWARE ladies. This guy is nothing but an odd one. He does grab ladies under the water. I have had 2 friends have this happen to them. I say post the damn picture, this guy called it upon himself. We have enough accidents here in the Bay to just let this guy go around harrassing girl divers. He may not have hurt anyone, but remember that is just as of YET!!! I'm sorry you guys but I have no tolerance for men who harrass women.

Also please notice that the original thread was posted in August of 2004 and we are still talking about this guy. That is years of harrassment he has gotten away with.

Do you understand what assault is?

Mark

reefugee:
Fuzzmutton and mweitz -

I respect your opinion, and am sorry that Fuzzmutton had a "weird" experience with him. But every posts have indicated he is a bad and/or weird buddy - not a buddy that has done anything illegal. I am not trying to defend Fred's odd behavior - but this thread is going from an information warning thread about Fred to a what i would consider a "Fred" bashing thread.

I still think it's going too far to post his pictures. It's one thimg to post stories about Fred and warn people, but it's another thing to post his pictures. What next? Maybe someone should follow him home and post his home address? How about posting his phone number?

Minh

Luvnthelife: Fred's been Fred for twenty years at least. He was around when I started
diving.

The reports of Fred doing something obnoxious are always second or third hand. If you know
someone who's been the victim: HAVE THEM REPORT IT.

BTW, Fred is not on Megan's list (sexual predators).

Maybe Fred is looking for attention? I mean if it is true that he is turning off people's air and then share the air, it looks like he is looking for a "thank you" from his victim or something. Otherwise, this is turning into a Monterey myth or something. Otherwise, I'm going to drop the matter since Minh was rejected by him that will mostly mean I'll be completely ignored. I am come on, who wants to dive with tiny little me :).

I must say it is important to be aware but how much of this is just a few incidents that have been played over and over and over. Yes he is creepy and not all there. My husband (refugee) and I met him last week. He asked us if we where going to give it a go (water was rough) we said yep gonna give it a try. He just sat there in his truck staring at the water then back at us. We ignored him and continued to suit up. He finally drove up and talked to some others. Granted I would never want to dive with him but that whole grabbing girls under water, how much of a feel can you get through 7 mm suits or dry suits. Our friends dove with him and said they would never again but not because he was freaking them out but he was just weird. He undid his suit under water and stuck something in it and zipped back up. They figured he was poaching. I think we should be warned but that out of air situation has been going around for ever and how it happened one time from what I hear. I also hear he has crappy gear that leaks really bad. So who knows maybe he wanted to practice out of air :D I think this thread has went well beyond warning and is just bashing and threatening. As far as hitting on women. Ok I have met a few creepy old guys that think they still got the touch and try to pick up on young women. Ok so we are warned lets move on.

Ok that's probably going to get me bashed but that's my 2c
Stacy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom