Warning to Teric owners, check the tightness of the lug screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How common is this problem with the Teric?
I just checked mine yesterday and both pins were loose. So loose that I rotated one sides head and the head on the opposite side did not move. When I tightened them up I got about 4 turns out of the hex driver using two fingers and then it felt tight. How tight is it supposed to be? The manual says "once it feels tight stop screwing":cool:

Shearwater Teric Dive Computer - Black
Model EU

Purchased January 2020 in UK

Problem occurred on the 6th dive of this new computer's life.

Diving the Red Sea by Sharm el Sheikh, water temperature 24°C, air temperature 27°C, max depth 30m, max dive time 60min.

A lug screw was lost and the lug pin detached from one side of the strap. Fortunately, the lug pin did not completely fall out otherwise the computer would have been lost. It is only because the diver had the strap tight that the lug pin did not completely detach. It is only because the diver inspects their equipment before and after every dive that the problem was spotted.

On inspection I found the remaining lug screw and pin to also be loose. It would only be a matter of time before that assembly also separated.

I cannot imagine what conversation I would be having now with Shearwater if that computer had been lost. It would be a tough one to establish liability for "dropped" dive equipment, however, in this case the fault rests with the supplier and manufacturer.

I am furious that I have been exposed to this risk. It is unacceptable that Shearwater's neglect to properly assemble the unit potentially could have cost me the price of the computer. I am concerned that other divers have lost their computers, and their £1,000, because of Shearwater's poor workmanship.

I have used the spare lug pin supplied to reassemble the strap and tightened both pins appropriately.

I advise all Teric owners to immediately check the tightness of the lug pins and screws.

I checked mine & it’s tight!

Thanks for the headsup. I think the Allen screw size is H1.5, if you don’t have the screwdrivers that comes with the Teric.

I have heard of this from different watch-like dive computers.

I'd like to know if anyone has resorted to loctite or similar.
I had it happen to a scubapro galileo a few years ago. Before I replaced the galileo with a petrel, I moved to replacing the strap annually and checking things before the first dive of the day. Pretty sure this sort of thing will happen with anything that uses a standard wristwatch strap, including wristwatches.

On my Peregrine I went to a bungee attachment. Primarily because I hated the watch-like strap that the Peregrine came with. Secondarily was to eliminate the risk of the screws that attach it coming loose. I've used two separate bungee loops so that I have redundancy in case one loop fails. Probably not an option on the Teric but sharing just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom