Was it a Great White?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. Like everyone says, they do migrate and are known to live throughout the world's oceans.

And everyone wonders why I always carry a camera. :wink:

stevetim:
Hence my signature. I have heard of a couple of divers here in South Florida ID'ing a White while pretty far out in about 300 feet of water, if I remember correctly. They were spearing.
What was the bottom depth at the time you saw 'it'?
Migration time, huh?

I heard about something similar in S. Florida a few years back. By key largo and Pennekamp area, a GW was spotted a few times. I think in 2003 or 2004 there was a report abouta Great white being found with bullet holes :( close to key west, what is pretty sad, anyone has info on that?

My sis was in S. Africa about 4 months ago and did the great white cage dive. She said it is fascinating, but a wild ride to see something that big come against the cage. She did the dive with that crazy guy that actually dives outside the cage (he did not go out of the cage). Here is a web pic I think him with a GW:

jpb2.jpg

After the cage dive, they went about 500 feet to dive with Seals. When back on the boat, the guy says, hey, "you were supposed to take those off before you went back in the water" she forgot the chum lines still attached to her BC!! Argh!

I hope it was a White for your sake, that would be cool and I am jeleous.

If it were a Bull or a Tiger then I would probbaly pee my speedo
Sand Tigers, I am not familiar with so I can't say. They look cool!

I dove a night dive in Kailua Bay the other night because it was reported that a 10' Tiger was hanging out in the bay. We never saw it and I am sure the lights and bubbles probably kept it at bay had it been there. It was my "Get over the Tiger Shark" dive :wink: The "Tiger sightings Rumors" always run amuck in Kona.

We also dove Honokohau Harbor because reportedly a Tiger hangs out there as well and feeds on the left overs from the fishing boats but never saw it. Funny when you look for them they are never around.

We also did a Lava Tube dive where we were told a pair of White Tips lives but three dives later and no sharks.

Lamnid:
uh...countershading seen in most shark species!

Countershading on a white is pretty distinctive. A very clear, if a bit jagged, line between dark gray/blue/black on top and white underneath. There is no "fade to black" effect like seen on other sharks. From the images I have seen and the sharks I have been in the water with (haven't been in the water with a white :( ), this seems to me like one of the most distinctive features.

Codyjp:
yes, bears are killing machines very similar to squirrels.

I haven't heard of any squirrels killing hikers. Four hikers have been killed by black ,yes black bears not a grizzly bear in the past 2 years in NC and Tenn. One female hiker was actually half eaten.

Bears can and do kill humans.

This post is not ment to start an animal rights debate , just to state a fact !

Back
Top Bottom