Was it a Great White?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whites certainly are reported much further north along that coast so it is a possibility. Although we have them around Catalina, I have yet to see one underwater in 37 years of diving here. Have seen them from boats (including kayaks) and from a cage off Guadalupe Island!

Walter:
The conical nose is a good indicator. Whites also have dark backs and light bottoms.

You tell us, was it a White?

I wouldn't say this shark had a dark back. It was mid to light gray throughout its whole body except for the under belly which was white. No doubt about the conical nose...My mind wants to tell me no way were you in the water with a White. My gut...It tells me it was a White...

YUP, we got GW's here. Even videoed one swimming around a dive boat. Funny thing, though......everyone decided not to dive after the sighting......Hmmmmmm. I would have loved seeing it from down under.

Just curious, were you diving off the Capt's Lady and was the spearfisher you mentioned Justin off of the Seaquest II?

And to answer your question, yes, it was probably a Great White. There have been a couple of them reported at the Spar lately. BTW, I dove the Spar a few times two weeks ago. What a beautiful wreck! Lots of penetrations.

Hmmmm. Our LDS is planning a wreck trip near Beaufort in October. Guess most of the whites'll be gone by then. :wink:

Wow... though it may have been a sphincter pucker moment when you saw what you think was a great white... imagine the looks on people's faces when you get to say, "yeah, I was surfacing from a dive when a great white glided by". Wow! They'll think you're nuts, and you, well, you got to see one of the neatest things ever! Cherish that moment!

rawls:
I wouldn't say this shark had a dark back. It was mid to light gray throughout its whole body except for the under belly which was white. No doubt about the conical nose...My mind wants to tell me no way were you in the water with a White. My gut...It tells me it was a White...

Was there a distinct line between where it was light gray above and where it was white underneath, or was it kind of a fade-to-white?

isurus:
An option that hasn't been discussed is porbeagle Lamna nasus. I haven't seen a reason to discount that yet (which would also be a very cool sighting).

Porbeagle shark....nice call! I would say based on what has been told, this is a distinct possibility....

Back
Top Bottom