Watch this video of the Blue Hole of Dahab before it is deleted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WTF did I just watch? That was painful.

The only things it looked like he did OK were to signal OK
That's the most telling part.

Panicked and or stress divers will often give you an automatic ok to your "are you ok?" question underwater when you see they're having an issue. It one of the quick ways to tell that they're being overwhelmed by the situation.

Someone who's under control with give you the problem response.

So a good lesson for people of things to look out for and be aware of and then be prepared to make an intervention

Wow, reminds me of my 3rd post cert OW dive. Descended like a rock, hit the sloping wall of the quarry, literally tumbled down said slope, arse over elbows. Came to rest on my back on the bottom at twenty something feet, immediately flashed the OK sign at my VERY EXPERIENCED dive buddy who was watching me from a few feet above, quite concerned.

I watched the video again... is it normal to mount stage/deco tanks like that in some situations, the neck bolt snap attaching to the end of a long piece of webbing hanging around?
is it quicker to descend that way or something?
the other divers seem to use it as well. a bounce dive setup of a kind?
It looks like a bit uncomfortable to me o_O
No, it is not normal. As a result of this mount, the 2nd stage is almost pulled out of his mouth.

No, it is not normal. As a result of this mount, the 2nd stage is almost pulled out of his mouth.

2nd stage is positioned similar to Popeye's pipe...

acf477c1-09b5-4a05-9012-792d4606b3a4.jpg

CZnaefA.png

Attachments

• acf477c1-09b5-4a05-9012-792d4606b3a4.jpg
    acf477c1-09b5-4a05-9012-792d4606b3a4.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 79
There is not a single agency that teaches stage/deco tanks clipping in this way.
but there has to be something why they are doing that. The only reason I can imagine would be that they WANT to descend upright and want the tanks to be horizontal at 90° angle to the body which would necessitate that long webbing piece. Why the upright position is necessary for them, I don't know. As far as I know the whole rest of the Worlds population is perfectly happy just clipping the stage neck to the shoulder d-ring and some of them like the sidemount style bungee approach.

But I can imagine trying to swim in normal trim with that tank rigging, would be pretty interesting at least :confused:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom