Watch vs Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pictureman22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have about 25 dives and want to start to purchase gear. I will feel safer. I will do 1 or 2 dive trips each year mostly warm weather like Cozumel.

I've been debating between a watch (Sunnoto Vyper comes with computer cord $329) with out air/wireless transmuter as I hear they don't always connect/fail/more expensive along with a basic gauge ($189) and a integrated console (Aeris Atmos AI $540 with quick disconnect without compass without computer cord).

It seems over all the price will be about the same.

What are your thoughts?

Pros/Cons?

Any other feedback.

I had a watch and computer in my console. I just did away with my console completely! I moved my compass to my wrist, computer on my other wrist, and air pressure on a short hose near hooked near my bcd inflator. Everything is MUCH easier to access and I couldn't be happier with the setup. Why? My compass is easier to reach, read, and I don't need to hook it back to a d-ring every time I'm done with it. WIth my console, to read my air pressure, I'd have to reach down, get it at an angle where I could see it, and bend my neck to look down towards the bottom of my BCD. Now I just lift up the the spg 12 inches from my face. Plus I have one less long hose hanging from me with this big clunky console which has a habit of dragging when diving in shallow water or when I get low to look under rocks.

For my backup computer, I bought a wrist mount for it, but I haven't decided where to wear it. I'll probably just put it next to my primary in the future.

As for the expensive digital air pressure/computer consoles, it sure sucks when they go on the fritz.

my personal rig is i run a Suunto D9Txi and transmiter the D9Txi stays on my wrist all the time (id forget it otherwise lol!)
i also have a simple spg clipped on my harness .
if i spend out for a nice computer on a hose 1, i dont want it being banged around in boats or scratched up or other damage 2, yes i could have a quick release coupling but i have seen soooo many air leaks from the coupling and there a pig to repair if you do not have the tools andif your on a boat your back to basics!!

If you aren't planning on buying the whole regulator setup, it's much easier to buy wrist gauges, because then nothing has to be installed into the rental equipment.

Are those online prices you're quoting? Seems a little low (but maybe not). You may be dealing with grey market items and not have a warranty or manufacture support.

Just sayin' is all. Everything may be cool; buyer beware and all.

I have an Aeris Atmos AI, and like it for what it is.... being a very nice recreational, integrated, nitrox computer. Sometimes I wish it was on my wrist, but then I would need to go wireless and I didn't want to go that route (expense and technical complexity). I used to bring the hose under my left arm and clip it to my right shoulder D-ring, so all I had to do was look down to see it. That worked out great for a while. The little clip attached to the casing is pretty flimsy and stopped staying attached. This is a minor annoyance that makes me wish it was attached to my wrist.

Atmos AI:
Pros:
- only 1 battery to worry about
- no transmitter/receiver failures
- less likely to leave at home/in car/hotel room (seriously, people always seem to be leaving behind their wrist computers)
- no straps to break and lose the thing

Con:
- not on the wrist
- becomes a "dangly"

I have two wrist/wireless AI computer and a console AI computer. I like'em both. I prefer the wrist placement but I like the console because I can hold the compass way in front of my face to make shooting an azimuth and navigating a lot more accurate.

Sometimes when I can't make up my mind, I'd wear both at the same time.

the only time my wrist mounted air integrated computer has been trouble is when I've been elbow/shoulder deep in a lobster hole. i usually just go with whichever arm has the compass on it instead of the really expensive gizmo. it's super convenient to just be able to glance at my wrist for everything I need to know and nothing hangs off of me. I keep a spare spg on the boat in my Save-a-Dive kit

Wrist gauges:

Pros -- 1. Always available to see -- particularly when you need them (descent/ascent for example)
2. Works with any regulator (don't need to have it attached)

Cons -- 1. Easier to forget
2. Perhaps not all information in same place ("cheap" computer will only give you time/depth/NDL -- "expensive" computer will be air integrated but syncing can be an issue)

Console -- Pros 1 -- IF Air Integrated, ALL information right there all the time -- even if not AI, the SPG is usually close to the Depth/Time/NDL information so one glance works

2. IF Air Integrated, cheaper than an AI wrist computer

Cons -- 1. NOT where information can be easily seen particularly at times when time/depth information is most critical -- ascent/descent (again, typical console is on the left side which is also the side you use to control inflator)

2. Attached to reg set so can't easily be moved from reg to reg -- particularly important (perhaps) when travelling

3. IF not with a quick disconnect, more difficult to get information downloaded to computer -- if with a quick disconnect, more failure points

For what it's worth, I still have a Suunto Cobra (console) on my rig BUT I use wrist mounts (including an AI wrist mount) for my primary information. If I hadn't already purchased the Cobra, I wouldn't have it.

I now use both wrist and console. I was very satisfied with all my equipment on my console, SPG. Vyper and compass. This spring I was gifted a Vytec DS AI computer and started wearing it on my right wrist. I soon found that I prefered using the Vytec on my wrist over the Vyper on my console. It is easier to check the computer on your wrist and is much easier to use on acent and safety stop. I am temped to put my Vyper on my wrist also. I will leave my SPG and compass on the console with a retractor attached to a right chest D ring. I wil keep my SPG as backup and can pull the compass out in front of me to use it.
The one drawback of on the wrist mounting is it is much easier to loose or misplace when donning and doffing and transporting equipment. I already misplaced the Vytec once.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I will be buying a whole set up.

For console
Pro
I like the idea that everything is in one place.
I like the idea that it's not wireless as that doesn't always connect.
I like that it's attached to my gear and I wont forget it as easily.

Con
I don't like that it can drag a bit. (However I will get a corded retractor).
I don't like that it can get banged up on the boat (I guess I have to be careful)l.
I don't like that quick disconnect has one more piece to fail (but I will have it serviced regulary)

actually the price on the Atmos AI is closer to $630 with quick disconnect and compass which I will take off unless I'm going on dives that I need it.

Watch
Pro
It's smaller

Con
Have to take it on and off every time on the boat to get my gear off.

Back
Top Bottom