Water in bladder inside wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also happens when you inflate the wing... a small amount of water will usually be sucked in through the mouthpiece due to a venturi effect of the air coming through the inflator.

I dive in fresh water most of the time, so I'm really bad at rinsing gear (i.e. never do it) and it's amazing how much water accumulates over the course of a bunch of dives!

Not sure that's accurate as that would imply that the inflator "air path" is open to external air/water/whatever the inflation valve is open. If this was the case air would bubble out of the inflator whenever the wing is inflated.

DRIS is correct. I have water in my wing pretty much after every dive. Pulling the dump valve lets water in if there is no competing air pressure. It's no big deal, just inflate the wing fully, try to move the water closer to the dump valve or inflator hose, push the button or pull the string and you're good!

If you are not getting a little water in your bladder, you are either not using it UW or you are very over-weighted. But 2 cups is a lot of water so you may be working your dump valves a bit much. This could be an indication of a new rig or being a bit under weighted and trying to dump air that is not there. In any case, no harm.

I always have water in my wing at the end of a dive too. When I get home I pull the inflator hose and take a water hose and fill my wing about 1/3 full then slosh the water around to rinse the inside. After that I hold my wing up high enough (usually hanging on a hanger) to get to the kidney dump and run water through the dump. Refill and repeat. I also do the same thing to the inflator hose as well. I run fresh water through at least a couple of times to get the salt out. I have heard stories of salt crystal building up inside the bladder and clogging the inflator and kidney dump both.

I often get a significant amount of water (several cups) in my wing after a dive.. because I am frequently going up and down vertically in the water column as I search for, find and film critters bear the bottom. Unfortunately we are in a drought here and I dive pretty frequently so I can't rinse the inside of mine very often.

Back
Top Bottom