Water in Pressure Gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, yes it is possible, don't worry. i had mine cleaned out, after a plug in the back of the gauge was known to be faulty on that type of gauge,(too small of a plug) with the plug upgraded free of charge. i know of 1 or 2 others that have had their gauges sent back to the manufacturer for them to do the same thing, though i dont know exactly how it is done. ask your local dealer/who you purchased your gear through. kind regards.

How old is the gauge? With a piece of equipment as important as your pressure gauge might be best just to replace it. Just my 2cents.

If fresh water penetrated the gauge (dial area), then it might be possible to dry it out, fix the leak (replace plug, replace face, install a new o-ring, replace the case, etc.), and the gauge will work OK.

If salt water got in there, you can attempt the resuscitation outlined above but chances are the corrosion will have already begun...and it's just a matter of time before the corrosion makes it unusable. If salt water has been sitting inside the gauge for some time, then it's probably a goner.

For most people, the solution is just to buy another gauge. I would certainly take it to the shop where you bought it from. Perhaps they'll provide a replacement free of charge as a warranty replacement. If you bought the gauge secondhand, then just get another one. If you're really pinching pennies, used gauges can be acquired fairly inexpensively on Craigslist and Ebay.

New brass-and-glass gauges will cost $60-$80 for the naked gauge. Expect to pay $20-$30 more for a gauge with attached HP hose. FWIW, you can almost certainly re-use the HP hose that's connected to your flooded SPG.

You can...although once opened, you may find that the service technician could recommend that the components are water damage and liable for corrosion.

It's not really a DIY job... and in most instances you'd simply be looking at replacement.

The issue with water in the SPG is that it could lead to a 'sticky needle' that -in turn- could lead you into an out-of-air situation when diving. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Nope?

If water has made its way into a pressure gauge can the gauge be taken apart and cleaned?

Yes.
Putting it back togather and having it work properly is the trick.

Bob
-------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom