Water in the first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay, not paying attention, I put a Mares Proton Ice into the rinse tank without the dust cover on; it was there for a minute or maybe two.

Should I have:

a. let it sit out and dry without the dust cover
b. put on the cover and not tell the owner (my wife)
c. hook the reg to a cylinder and purge a good bit of air through to dry
d. something else

It was nice clean rinse water, after a pool session.

Remove the SPG and HP hose from the first stage and follow your option c. After purging both 2nds and the LP inflator, reattach the HP hose and purge everything again for good measure. If you have an IP gauge, you should monitor IP over the next few months to make sure there is no degradation. If IP holds OK, it should be good until the next service when the tech may have to do a little extra cleaning. Should not be a problem.

You probably need to tell her what you did. She may have other ideas. You can always trade regs with her.

I suggest option 2. The subsequent letter from her divorce attorney will teach you to pay attention the next time you soak a reg.

However, in the interest of harmony, I would go with Awap's method.

What AWAP said, I'll add 2 points...

1) If you are comfortable with separating the SPG from the HP hose do so. On reassembly purge that hose prior to reinstalling the instrument. Odds are nothing made it's way into that tiny hole that soon but I'd go the extra step. Given the restriction I don't know what purging would do. I'd place a paper tower at the instrument end so you'll see a wetness blotch if anything comes out. If you do see wetness let it purge long so the dry air can clean it up. As son as you caught it the instrument should be OK but examine that internal connection if you beak it open.

2) Doing this in nice clean fresh water was a good thing but none of it is going to help the regulator. When was it last serviced?

You want to walk away from this with peace of mine if nothing else.

Remember that we we Do It Ourselves in order to justify tool purchasing. Don't miss the chance to get that IP gauge if you don't already have one.

Pete

Once last addition, once you have purged everything remove all of the hoses from the first stage. Then remove all of the port plugs. Then place it the reg in the sun where there is good air flow. That it help it dry out faster. After that reassemble and test with an IP gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom