Water Temp Kuantan, Tioman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave1w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am going to Kuantan Wreck Area and Tioman this weekend. Being a real warmwater novice, could anyone tell me what the water temp is expected to be?

Would I need my 5 mm one piece, or would I be OK with my 3 mm shorty. Also, is it advisable to wear full coverage on my body (apart from taste reasons!) Are there any nasties that sting etc.?

Cheers
Dave

3mm shorty is ok for short dives, but if you are diving for days, body might get cold after a few days of repeated dives.

I dive with a 3mm shorty there all the time,but I usually do no more than 2 to 3 dives a day for 3 days.

word kirikuru,

I was recently in Nassau, water was an average of 74 deg f at 100 ft, and i got cold after 2 dives. For the 3rd and 4th of the day, I had to don a 5 mil over my 3 mil... Not fun being cold. The rest of the dive days had me wearing 16 lbs of weight to counter my 8 mil exposure protection. lol.

Same thing when i dove tioman and redang last summer. Bottom tem at 80 ft was around 75 deg f. Started getting chilly after 2 dives in a 3 mil fullsuit, however, it was still manageable for the 3rd dive. Dave1w, i think you would be more comfortable in ur 5 mil, especially if you're diving multiple days, like wat kirikura mentioned.

Good luck and I'm envious! Landlocked in the bitter cold of NY.. GRRRRRR...

Dave1w:
I am going to Kuantan Wreck Area and Tioman this weekend. Being a real warmwater novice, could anyone tell me what the water temp is expected to be?

Would I need my 5 mm one piece, or would I be OK with my 3 mm shorty. Also, is it advisable to wear full coverage on my body (apart from taste reasons!) Are there any nasties that sting etc.?

Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,
I recommend B&J Dive Centre Tioman with full tec facility, if you going for tec penetration 3mm full suit with hood more suitable 5mm too warm.
I did Wreck seven skies before very impressed.
Good dive!
http://www.divetioman.com/wreck_frameset.html

Water temp is onsistenty 28/29 degrees. I've dived in shorts and a rashie over a weekend without any discomfort - six dives, two days, no problem. You should be pretty right with the 3mm shortie.

Saw a large jelly once.

I dove tioman with a diveskin.
I suspect a 3mm shorty would be fine.
I don't know how deep you will be and if there is a thermo cline.
If you are planning on decostops then I would take along the 5mm. From what I have read you can get cold even in 80 degree water if you are hannging a a decostop for long enough.

Thanks, I think i'll probably take both. I have some inbuilt insulation, but the 5mm pulls in the gut better!

Dave

Well the temp never fluctuated from 28 degrees.... Borrowed a 3 mm shorty and was warm enough, but covered in scratches... And there is always a bloody urchin where you put your hand where you're squeezing through a gap.
Honestly though, this was my first proper warm water trip, and I am blown away by how nice it is.

Dave

Glad to hear you had a great time.
Who did you dive with?
Where did you stay?
In general what did you think?

There are a couple of people looking at Tioman in the next few weeks who will appreciate your responses.

ALso i can give more information especially about every dive site.. in detail....i live in the island and work with B&J diving centre in for 6 years before i move to Toronto.

cheers

zaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom