Water Temps - Bunaken/ Lembeh in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys Im going to be in Bunaken and Lebeh this coming mid - May, can anyone shed some light on water temps for me during that time? I just need to work out if I need to pack a wetsuit. I use a 5mm in temps 25C or below. (dont have a 3mm) Anything over that I have a 0.5mm Insulator Neoprene suit which Im comfortable at 26 + C.

Are there thermoclines in Bunaken like in Lembongan?

Thanks

In Lembeh and Bunaken I personally wear either a polyolefin full body suit (minimal insulation) or a half millimeter neoprene full body suit.

In Southern California in the summer when water temps are in the high 50s to the low sixties Fahrenheit I wear a 7/6/5 mm neoprene full body suit, hood and gloves/booties and am never cold while diving.

26 C is about 79 F. It sounds like you are similar to me in terms of cold tolerance. Maybe you might want to bring a 3 mm vest to wear under or over (depending on the fit) your half millimeter suit.

That said I have seen others wearing 5 mm full body neoprene suits with hoods and they are still cold. In my experience the water temp varied between 77 F (25 C) and 83 F (about 28 C) (same in Fiji)

This week I went to the beach at Santa Monica, California and was boogie boarding in water that was 62 F (17 C) wearing only a nylon skin and was not cold

I always recommend a full suit, even when it is very warm, for protection from the sun, scrapes and stingers. On my polyolefin suit there is an integrated hood that is optional to wear (if you choose not to wear it, it just hangs from the back of ones neck and useful for those times when there are a lot of tiny stingers in the water). I also have a fleece hood for use with my half millimeter neoprene suit that does NOT have an integrated hood.

I wear the polyolefin suit on hot days when the water is warm because I can put in on before getting on the boat, I tend to get seasick even looking at my watch so it is nice to get suited up on land. If it gets hot I just splash my suit with water to cool off. Polyolefin is also a very rugged material. It will literally last forever. I bought my suit used and have been using it regularly for over ten years.

I have not experienced thermoclines at Bunaken, but occasionally I have felt cold currents that only last a few minutes and I felt a little bit cool but never cold.

Do as many night dives as you can, especially at Lembeh, it's great fun.

I would never even consider diving Bunaken or Lembeh without a 3mm full suit. I often use it there together with a 3 mm vest with a hood and I have never been to warm. If you are very hardy on temps, you will probably be fine in a 3 mm shorty, but dives tend to be long (60 min+) and, at least for many divers in the area, quite many during a day (at least 4).

So are there stingers I have to worry about in Bunaken or Lembeh??? Or is it a seasonal thing. If so any in May?

Im not to sure I would like to invest in a 3mm just for a holiday.

When I last dived Lembongan it was about 25C mainly and I was comfortable in a 5mm. But the dilemma is Ive never worn a 5mm in 28C waters!

In 27-28C I dived comfortably in a 0.5mm. But then again that was in Sipadan and Maldives where we didnt have stingers.

Thanks for the Polyolefin tip Alan will investigate.

As Alan says. Full suit every time. Yes there are stingers occasionally but also the scrapes (OK I know you shouldn't ever brush against anything, but it can happen) and the sun protection. And of course a bit of extra insulation. We use light full suits with vests to bump up the temperature if needed. A hood can give you at least a degree more.

You can come across cold upwellings at Bunaken and then minutes later a warm current. Lembeh can be a little colder than Bunaken.

Yes I will have a light full suit of 0.05 Neoprene and will bring a hood. Im just not sure if i need to bring anything more. Im thinking of buying a 2.5mm perhaps if anyone can convince me Lembeh will get below 26C? I read somwhere that Lembeh waters can be slightly cooler in certain seasons?

On a cold, rainy day in January, my dive comp registered 26degC but we felt the cold more acutely on the boat than inside the water, as it was windy... Might have to consider that you will be likely to do many long dives (more than 1hr) in Lembeh... Or just rent from the resort, if needed...

How are you Xariatay? We seem to be diving the same sites or planning to :)

Ive pulled the trigger on a 2.5mm (well Cressi say 2.8mm) so I think I will be well comfortable! Thanks all for the advice.

Now...this weekend waters locally here seem to be clocking around 15C :depressed: and im scheduled to hit the water early morning with my 5mm.

Where's the scientific evidence for warming of waters? Its not happening here! :confused:

How are you Xariatay? We seem to be diving the same sites or planning to :)

Ive pulled the trigger on a 2.5mm (well Cressi say 2.8mm) so I think I will be well comfortable! Thanks all for the advice.

Now...this weekend waters locally here seem to be clocking around 15C :depressed: and im scheduled to hit the water early morning with my 5mm.

Where's the scientific evidence for warming of waters? Its not happening here! :confused:

Thanks, am fine. You must be stalking me! :rofl3: (joking!!!)

Starting your "shopping spree" so early? Think you are just looking for an excuse to shop, aren't you? :wink: & we sort of fell into your "trap". :D

It is not the summer in Perth until 2-3mths later? Several years ago, we went to West Oz for a self-drive holi (can't rem which months but supposedly the late spring or early summer kinda days) & the ocean looked so tempting but once I stuck my legs into the surf, all desire to dive disappeared... :shakehead: haha, but then, I shower with warm water like 360days a year! Am quite useless...

Won't hijack your thread anymore, will PM u... :wink:

Stalking me, think Im being stalked :eyebrow:

In summer here Feb when topside temps are 35-40 C the waters max out at 23 at the surface and 21 at the bottom!

Yesterday morning I did a dive at 9:30 am and we had 14 C!

Water is clear and nice though. :)

Yes shopping spree due to extremely low US to Oz dollar... the bank balance is shot now... :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom