Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah this thread has a way of dragging you in. ACES50 who posted in this thread told us he was Gabe's Dad. Looking back over some of his posts I find it interesting how he was carefully alluding to information that has now appeared in Michael McFaddyn's Blog. I also note the caution he demonstrated in the way he posted. Gotta give the guy credit for not "lashing out" at the Thomases I am not sure I would be so controlled in his shoes!

VeryRusty,

Your post that I quoted(in my previous post), got me thinking about all of this again. You are the first person that I'm aware of, who has posted here on SB, who actually knows Gabe. My opinion of him is based on reading copious amounts of material and watching the TV specials. Your first hand opinion of Gabe is the same as my second hand opinion. Both are opinions, not character assassination. He seems to do a good job of that all by himself.

Strictly from a scuba diving point of view, everything that went wrong and tragically took Tina's life is explainable. Nearly all new divers overstate their experience and ability. The industry is plagued with lack of good training and with promoting advanced dives to divers with a lack of experience. Add that to Tina not being honest on the Medical Release, being grossly overweighted, no checkout dives, passive panic, inability to equalize, overbreathing, incompetence, not being familiar with new equipment, and flight vs fight reaction to adversity, all add up to a tragic loss.

From a human mistake point of view, Eye witness accounts underwater are suspect with no way to be sure of who is who, how far away people were due to refraction and 3 dimensional perspective.
Gabe's unusual personality explains much of the cowardly and bizarre behavior.

Finally, it sure seems like a premeditated diving murder would have been a lot easier to pull off without the huge trip to Australia and the GBR. Why not pick a more primitive place known for wall diving, strong currents and law enforcement with little resource and ability to investigate as a crime?
Closer to home, cheaper and easier to get to, Cozumel or Grand Cayman have Multi thousand foot walls where a missing diver would never be found.

I'm not trying to stick up for Gabe. It is just that there is SO much doubt, well beyond reasonable doubt, that this was just a tragic diving accident and not a murder.

I hear your assessment and respect it. I'm deleting the rest of this. If anyone's family is on this board there is no need to cause unnecessary heartache.

Last edited:
I've heard everyone posting in this thread has done very cruel thinks to their family, but I am not going to dicuss them here.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how much of the analysis done by members of SB will be reflected in Opening Statement and Closing Argument when the trial finally starts. My guess is "a lot."
I bet both sides have multiple, printed copies of this thread.

I bet both sides have multiple, printed copies of this thread.

I'll bet the defence is more interested in this thread since it is more represented here by a very vocal minority that supplies arguments that have not even been known to be used by the defence team and are not even supported by fact. Round and round it goes...

I'll bet the defence is more interested in this thread since it is more represented here by a very vocal minority that supplies arguments that have not even been known to be used by the defence team and are not even supported by fact. Round and round it goes...

You are so right!
But, we really don't know what the defense team has or doesn't have. It seems that most of the information that is available on the case is not fact. Everything is based on shakey witness testimony, and now it has been almost 10 years since the accident/crime took place.

We all have our theories. There are 149 pages of blabbing, so you can hardly pin anything on a vocal minority.

It is nice and maybe even useful, that experienced scuba divers can propose theories and discuss them in an open forum. It will be interesting to see if the court case finally gets to the bottom of this and a clearer picture appears.

Maybe Gabe will confess and give all of the details.
Maybe Gabe will admit to overstating his scuba abilities and his utter failure to rescue his wife.
Maybe scuba training in general will be attacked and standards will need to be raised.
Maybe evidence will show a tragic accident that no one could have prevented.

Most likely, it will be a legal mess with each side spinning the story, and in the end it will be as convoluted and unresolved as it ever has been.

As I have said publicly in the thread I don't think this case will ever result in "Justice". While I will admit Gabe doesn't come across to me as the type of person I would choose to hang out with, I suspect the ordeal has matured him in ways no one can appreciate. I dont' believe a person's life should be defined by their reaction to one moment in a terrible situation. People find it too easy to judge and assume they would react better but they can't know that for sure!

IMHO the fact that Watsons are all going to face the court AGAIN is an injustice. The fact that Gabe has been vilified publicly for years with part truths, conjecture and only one side of the story is an injustice. The fact that Watsons have all have been forced to endure that international vilification in silence and second guess every word they do say is an injustice.

The fact that Thomas's have lost their daughter is an injustice. The fact this thing has been draw out for so long based on half truths and misunderstood conjectures is an injustice. They have been locked into a Hell trying to find "Justice for Tina" making making it impossible to let this go trapping them in this hopeless quest is an injustice. I can't imagine that anger; developed into the focus for their lives for so long will ever be eased. Living with that pain and anger is in itself an injustice.

The fact that Tina is dead as a result of her and Gabe's inexperience and bad decisions is an injustice.

The court can not and will not correct these injustices IMHO the Queensland court got it right. There is not enough evidence to find pre meditated murder. This trial may feed the public's appetite for curiosity and dramatic public displays but it will not bring Tina back, discourage a rash of "copy cat crimes", or ease the pain of any of the participants. I hope somewhere they will all find strength, wisdom, healing and above all peace but I do not believe they will find them in the court system!

I believe we should always think of the impact our posts have on other people who may be reading it at the time of posting or later. That is why I think it is important to consider how you express yourself. I don't think we should allow ourselves to be muzzled either. I believe if something that has been posted here is used to find a way to make the truth clearer then it has been worth the time we have spent here trying to understand this tragic event. I think pretty well every poster here has honestly been trying to understand why this happened and how it should influence our personal decisions about staying safe when we dive!

Thanks for the link. Gives a small preview..same old info except we are given a small peek into is logbook! 50 dives. Mostly training and local quarry dives with a couple of trips to the ocean.

Here is a thought:

On a recent dive in Indonesia, a couple was diving with us who are very experienced divers with over a few hundred dives each in oceans all over the world. I was watching them take some photos when the husband's mask strap suddenly broke and his mask started floating off of his face. We were at 25 meters and had been down for quite awhile, and it was all his wife and I could do to keep him down and get him relaxed while we fixed the mask and got it back onto his face. He desperately wanted to bolt. Back on the boat he was embarrassed and very thankful. He hadn't been diving for a number of months, and was simply mentally unprepared for that little surprise. It could have ended very badly.

Now apply the same scenario to a much less experienced Watson with no one there to keep him from bolting. His mask gets knocked off, reg torn out, experience goes out the window and up he goes.

The Defense is saying Watson was a bad diver. Prosecution says he had over 50 dives and a few "NADi" certifications??? It sounds like most of his dives were either training dives with an Instructor, or dives where he really only needed to worry about himself and where nothing went wrong.
Again it seems obvious to me that after some time away from diving and the pressure of actually having to take care of himself and someone else, he folded.

What is scary is any newish diver could find themselves in Watson's shoes. They would likely handle the aftermath better, but still it would be awful.

Back
Top Bottom