Wearing dive gear on the plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's anything like CO the answer is generally because the diving is no good. 5' of vis, cold water, nothing to see.... Granted I've had 30' of vis on occasion in the high mtn lakes. But the best diving in CO is from DIA (Airport) where you are 3hrs from FL, COZ, CA...:eyebrow:

It's a little bit better than that actually. I've dove in Lake Travis twice and it was 10'-15' vis. In KC I doubt I have 6" of vis.

I do agree with you the vis is much better in FL, Coz & CA, but my sister lives in Austin. :wink:

Some folks have worn their BC on planes. I think mailing is a better option but using SW is even better as they allow 2 bags checked at no cost. Mailing costs $30-$50 RT, and you need someone at your destination to receive the package.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tried this? Such as wearing a BCD and wetsuit (wetsuit under clothes)?

I wonder if the TSA would let you wear a BCD on the plane. LOL!

I'd put the BC and accessories in a backpack, but otherwise very feasible!

all kidding aside I met some guys heading to Australia to compete in a Jousting comp. You think dive gears heavy--try chain mail . they ALL wore their chain mail gear onto the plane.--Aparently chain main armour isn't very comfortable after a 4 hour flight.
Probably couldn't happen nowadays with airpoert security

...and all this time I was worried about buying my own equipment because I'd have to pack it everywhere. =P I could wear the mask, snorkel, BC, and the regs as a necklace and not even worry about checking a bag!

I have looked into mailing my gear a couple of times, though not recently. It was expensive compared to excess baggage charges for those international destinations.

When I see somebody wearing a BC or wetsuit on a flight I'll have witnessed a new low. I don't think I'm old enough to qualify for curmudgeon status, but I have been complaining about the state of passenger attire on flights for a couple of decades now. Why does anybody go anywhere (besides a gym) in sweatpants? I wear a white Brooks Brothers oxford shirt for flights--even from one tropical destination to another. It fends off aggressive air-conditioning, reflects the sun, the sleeves can be rolled up or down as necessary, and if you happen to bump into the girl who dumped you in high school, it might give her reason to regret her decision. Especially if she is in sweatpants.
:wink:

A micro bikini maybe, other stuff probably not :D

Dude... really.... that is a mental image none of us needed.... :mooner:

Lol! I do realize this is sort of a ridiculous question. I rarely get to dive and I try to get in a dive anytime I can. I am headed to Austin, TX in 2 weeks. I want to carry on luggage to save $50 in fees, but I don't think I could get my gear & clothes in a carry on. I could put my mask, computer, regs in a big purse. The main thing I'm worried about is the fins and the BCD. Worse comes to worst I could rent the BCD. But, I'm just checking my options. :wink:

Check out the DiveCaddy DiveCaddy - Home - My wife and I both use them. Just as advertised, I can pack an entire warm water kit, with BCD, mask, regs, gauges, fins, boots, gloves, hood, skin, 5mm full, computer and both video and still cameras (but not the housings) and still have room for 3-4 days of clothes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom