Wearing wetsuit vest on top of wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

Thinking abt wearing wetsuit vest in top of my 3mm wetsuit for diving in 5mm wetsuit required divesite..

Will this make sense and anyone here has done that?

Thanks and best regards,
Eric

Yep, layering works.

And using a hood as dfx suggests can really help.

But I don't understand what you mean by "5mm wetsuit required divesite". Who requires that?
Typically exposure suit requirements vary with individual. I have a friend who dives in 62 degree water in a fleece suit (equivalent to about 2mm) without hood. I use at least 7 mm with hood, but prefer drysuit.
i.e. do you typically need more/the same/or less than other divers?

Thanks for the replies, Guys.

The local dive center suggested that in the month of August, we should use 5mm at least because it gets colder around that time.

Well it's a suggestion tho, I believe vary for everyone. But one thing for sure is that I need extra layer than others as I can't stand too much cold. So at least I better add something to my body... e.g. vest

-kebo

Do it all the time. My hooded vest has a silver inside lining so I wear it inside out for higher visibility in case they have to retrieve my body some day. To me, it seemed that wearing it outside was actually warmer than wearing it inside my 7mm.

Thanks for the replies, Guys.

The local dive center suggested that in the month of August, we should use 5mm at least because it gets colder around that time.

Well it's a suggestion tho, I believe vary for everyone. But one thing for sure is that I need extra layer than others as I can't stand too much cold. So at least I better add something to my body... e.g. vest

-kebo

if they suggest at least 5mm then you should consider a 5mm wetsuit and a hooded vest on top
we use the 5mm in the Caribbean, max temp was 86F and did not get hot all lol
in Cabo the water ranged from 71-75F and we felt the need to add the hooded vest and were just barely comfortable

and as drbill said, wearing it outside will give you more insulation

Thanks drbill and t4e,

I'm still considering if I want to invest a 5mm wetsuit or a vest...

That's what I'm thinking too. I might need something more than 5mm for this area.

Thanks and best regards,
Kebo

You'll get more warmth (less loss of heat) if you wear the vest under the wet suit........

I wear mine under my suit, especially since it fits closer to my body and is thinner than the suit, it helps to fill the voids in the suit and is much warmer, noticeably so.

The biggest difference in heat retention is the addition of the hood. Your brain is the last thing the body restricts circulation to, mostly when your heart stops beating, thus it is pouring your body heat into the cold water, a total loss.

N

I wear mine under my suit, especially since it fits closer to my body and is thinner than the suit, it helps to fill the voids in the suit and is much warmer, noticeably so.

The biggest difference in heat retention is the addition of the hood. Your brain is the last thing the body restricts circulation to, mostly when your heart stops beating, thus it is pouring your body heat into the cold water, a total loss.

N

Hi Nemrod, if I understand correctly, an addition of hood basically can keep us warmer compared to adding a hoodless vest with the same thickness?

Is my understanding correct?

Back
Top Bottom