Weight Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wondering your opinions...
Is getting a "weight bag" really worthwhile or is it another way to spend my money on stuff for diving instead of diving. We have 48lbs of soft weight that goes in our BCs and we're wondering if it's better to just leave them in our BCs and make our bags really heavy, or to separate them out.
We do mostly local diving, the farthest our current travel plans are is a two hour boat trip where they stow the bags like luggage.
thanks

Most DMs just really loooovvvvvvvveeeeeee divers that put weights in their equipment bags.

As for the poor guy whose equipment bag was at the bottom of the pile I'm sure he'll give you a round of applause too....

A plastic bucket works nicely ... you can get one at the hardware store for about $3.

Don't leave them in your BC's ... they tend not to dry out, and neither will your BC. That will significantly reduce the life expectency of the material ... not to mention putting excessive wear on whatever release mechanism is used on your BC weight system.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am a fan of the weight bag i bought. Keeps things in my big bag from shifting as much and I can also keep tabs on those pesky lead things that like to fall when you least expect them to.

Nay:
Wondering your opinions...
Is getting a "weight bag" really worthwhile or is it another way to spend my money on stuff for diving instead of diving. We have 48lbs of soft weight that goes in our BCs and we're wondering if it's better to just leave them in our BCs and make our bags really heavy, or to separate them out.
We do mostly local diving, the farthest our current travel plans are is a two hour boat trip where they stow the bags like luggage.
thanks

I now carry two 4# plates, and usually just stash them into the foot pockets of my fins. Its not even noticable.

Plus, I get to work BP/W into a thread completely unrelated to it. How very ScubaBoard of me....

Everyone relax. :rolleyes:

K

Available behind a supermarket near you: the new "Weight Milk Creight". They double as a gear bench when inverted.

Putting all those weights in your gear bag will rapidly trash the bag, especially the zipper. Even the best bags usually aren't built to handle that kind of weight. I wouldn't leave the weights in your BCD either - they don't dry out well, and over time they'll tend to stretch & damage the fabric.

I've been using an Akona weight bag for a while now, and I really like it. Keeps all my weights in one place, and it's got really sturdy construction. I'd agree with everybody else that a milk crate will do the job just as well, though. I just happen to be vain enough that I want all of my gear to be stored in matching black bags!! :wink:

We are big fans of milk crates, plastic buckets and those big rubbermaid tubs.

Bags just don't cut it.

Ii've been using a $5 backpack from Wally-World.

I learned the hard way not to lug your BC around with the weights in them. Just came back from my first dive trip where I did that all week. Now my BC needs a repair to the weight pocket-it completely ripped out. The dive shop only had the hard weights and they didn't fit as nicely as the soft weights into the integrated pouches. Discovered that on one of my last dives when I was handing weights up to the boat. The only thing holding the weight in place was velcro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom