Weight Belt and Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem may well be just one that I perceive. I run 16# of weight in my integrated BCD when I am wearing a 3mm wetsuit. 5# in each front pocket and 3# in each trim pocket in the back. I have a Sherewood Shadow and have not had a problem with it but have never been a fan on the load that is on the quicklease buckles for each front pocket so to try something new I am going to start using a belt instead. In a nutshell I feel that there is a high probability of losing weight out of the front pockets and am trying to avoid that.

1. 16lb for 3mm wetsuit sounds like way too much lead.

2. So it is your thinking that there is too much weight on the pockets quick-release buckles:
I have been using weight integrated BC's since they came out to the market circa 1994. I have only had an issue in the early models that used Velcro to secure the weight pocket to the BC. No issues at all with the new versions with quick-release pockets in around 20 years of using them (I haven't used a weight belt since circa 1994). I think that your fear is unjustified unless you know something about the specific model/brand of your BC that we don't know. 5lb in each pocket is insignificant btw.

1. 16lb for 3mm wetsuit sounds like way too much lead.

2. So it is your thinking that there is too much weight on the pockets quick-release buckles:
I have been using weight integrated BC's since they came out to the market circa 1994. I have only had an issue in the early models that used Velcro to secure the weight pocket to the BC. No issues at all with the new versions with quick-release pockets in around 20 years of using them (I haven't used a weight belt since circa 1994). I think that your fear is unjustified unless you know something about the specific model/brand of your BC that we don't know. 5lb in each pocket is insignificant btw.

Interesting. Thank you for the feedback and I suspect that you may be correct that this is just a self perceived problem. Was just something I had noticed and the enginerd stated coming out in me.

I am working on getting my weight down (did I just step into a Jenny Craig commercial). Dropped 2# a couple of weeks ago. Lot of diving coming up this weekend so going to work on dropping some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom