Weight Belt and Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So I called myself doing a search but didn't really find what I was looking for so excuse me briging up something that has probably already been discussed.

I dive now with a BCD that has integrated weight pockets but I have never been keen on how there is a constant weight load against the emergency releases while I am horizontal. To that end I decided to try a weight belt. I ordered one (see below) but am not really impressed with how well it buckles. It didn't really seem to bite into the nylon belt all that well. In fact it really didn't bite at all. I figured wetting the nylon would help this and it did but it still seems to popup with very little effort.

I have dived with weight belts before but it has been a long time ago and I just didn't pay enough attention at the time to have a good memory of the material they were made of or how securely the buckle seemed to bite into the material. I give you all this background to finally get around to my question of with a nylon belt material does it just need so use to get to the point where it feels more secure? I sure would hate for it to inavertinly come undone and fall on a divers head below me or send me kicking like hell to attempt a retrieval if it was even possible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U8IS7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a weight belt with a nylon buckle and it seems secure enough to me. I rarely use it, since I use integrated weight pockets.

You can put a $5 metal buckle on the belt or any piece of webbing if you want to "upgrade" it. Replacement Stainless Steel Scuba Diving Weight Buckle

I use a "depth compensating" buckle on my bp/w. It's basically got a little spring that lets it tighten up a little bit as things compress on the way down. I like mine a lot. I got mine at an LDS but it looks like this is probably the same thing. Aqua Stainless Steel Depth Compensating Weight Belt Buckle

No reason I can think of that you couldn't use the same buckle on a weight belt instead of a bp/w harness.

BLRRWB.jpg

Blue Reef 55" Rubber Weight Belt with Marseillaise SS Buckle

Exponentially better, especially with 1 pound weights.

SKU: BLRRWB MFR: WB-05A
Regular: $53.95
Sale $24.95

The buckle may be bent, or not threaded right. The metal buckles I have sometimes need to be adjusted if they catch too much abuce.

On another note, depending on how much weight you carry, you might want to split the weight between the belt and pockets to minimize the stress on both.

Bob

I use a leftover piece of harness webbing and a regular harness buckle.

Make your own weight belt for $8 from DGX:

S/S Quick-Release Buckle, Heavy Duty, {2 in | 5.1 cm}

Flat Nylon Webbing, per {1 ft | 30.5 cm}

I think it's pretty ironic that many people will argue that a stainless steel buckle is needed for a BP/W harness, where the buckle really never restrains any significant weight, but will use a plastic buckle for a weight belt, which could easily end up with 20 or more pounds on it.

For the record, I actually use the XS Scuba Clearpath buckle on all my BP/W harnesses and on my weight belt. It is glass-filled nylon with a stainless steel hinge pin. They run about $12, but they seem to be very strong and they are not shiny and do not attract the attention of barracuda the way my previous stainless buckles seemed to. And they are very quiet. No jangly noises when they are open, like my old SS buckles made.

XS Scuba Clear-Path Buckle

The rubber freediving belt sounds good, but I have never had any trouble with my weight belt moving around (the few times I have actually needed to use a weight belt).

Thank you all for the recommendations.

@Bob DBF Splitting the weight is exactly what I am planning to do.

I use a rubber weight belt and am well pleased with it. Mine is similar to the one in the photo upthread, but came from Mako.

I think it's pretty ironic that many people will argue that a stainless steel buckle is needed for a BP/W harness, where the buckle really never restrains any significant weight, but will use a plastic buckle for a weight belt, which could easily end up with 20 or more pounds on i

I use steel buckles because the plastic ones are newer and I have a lot of old steel buckles left over from back in the day. I don't know if I'm smart or just cheap.

Since I now have a BP, I keep my belt between 8 and 16# to keep from killing my back. Somehow I missed owning a jacket with integrated weights, so my advice there is purely theoretical.

In addition, I have the weight belt buckle rigged for right hand release, and the BP release for left hand release so there is no confusion when releasing the weight belt as it is in close proximity to the BP belt.

I use a rubber belt for freediving, but since I need to change weights when changing tanks, I use a nylon belt with pockets for SCUBA.

Bob

I dive now with a BCD that has integrated weight pockets but I have never been keen on how there is a constant weight load against the emergency releases while I am horizontal.

I am not sure what problem you are trying to avoid by going to a weight belt instead of your weight pockets in your BC. Is the problem you are trying to avoid inherent in your specific BC model or is it something else?

I am not sure what problem you are trying to avoid by going to a weight belt instead of your weight pockets in your BC. Is the problem you are trying to avoid inherent in your specific BC model or is it something else?

The problem may well be just one that I perceive. I run 16# of weight in my integrated BCD when I am wearing a 3mm wetsuit. 5# in each front pocket and 3# in each trim pocket in the back. I have a Sherewood Shadow and have not had a problem with it but have never been a fan on the load that is on the quicklease buckles for each front pocket so to try something new I am going to start using a belt instead. In a nutshell I feel that there is a high probability of losing weight out of the front pockets and am trying to avoid that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom