Weight belt falling off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I have best experience with the Integrated BCD but for extra weight (As when wearing a farmer John) that exceeds the BCDS weight recommendations I have purchased a DUI Weight harness as I dont like the belt sliding off!

If you are like me, a beer belly and no arse, you might want to consider a DUI harness.

Have you tried liquid nails? That stuff is awesome!

liquid_nails_packshot_final_tcm9-4567.jpg

If that is not to your liking, I would suggest picking up a weight harness. When I started diving, I needed #40 to keep me down. I felt like I had a Toyota wrapped my waist! The harness made all that weight manageable. As my weight requirement dropped I was able to easily adjust the weights I was caring. I bought a bunch of 5# soft weights and a couple of #3 and #2 soft weights. Using different combinations of the wieghts, I can get the weight carried down to 1 pound increments.

If you look at the photo, you can see a yellow handle. You or your buddy grabs them to release your weights in an emergency. The weight pockets are dropped, but the strap stays on you. This means that you can tuck the ends of the belt in to your heart's content.

You are correct to be concerned. The weight system is part of your safety gear. Losing a weight belt at depth while wearing a wetsuit could be hazardous to your health. In fact, 'could' should probably be 'will'.

I am old and fat so I have no hips to hold the belt in place. A DUI Weight & Trim Classic as discussed above is my answer.

I am a little skeptical of integrated weights. As long as the BC can float the rig without the buoyancy of the diver and wetsuit, I guess it's ok. The problem I have is lifting the pack with a 40# tank, 25# of weight (maybe) and whatever is attached. With the harness, the ballast is donned first followed by a BC that will certainly float the tank.

I have a similar concern about the harness: will my wetsuit float me on the surface while wearing the harness but having removed the BC. Just something to think about.

It may turn out that a hybrid approach is better. Some weight in the BC and the majority of it in the harness. I want to float comfortably on the surface with my head out of the water while removing the BC.

These concerns are related to diving from an inflatable where it is common to get dressed in the water.

Richard

In less than 15 dives (all rental gear) I have had three cases of weight belts that do not seem very secure, one even fell off in the pool (I grabbed it before I floated). Is this a problem of overly worn gear (should I just buy one?) or is there a better type/method for securing them. My DM's have forbade any tucking of the ends of the belt (risk of increased difficulty in ditching). I agree with this but I am equally concerned with a sudden loss of weight. I have read about a DIR practice of weight belt under crotch strap (don't know how to evaluate this). Comments???

Get a pair of double steel 120's and a stainless backplate, and you won't need a weight belt = problem solved.:D

When using the webbed belts with plastic buckle I've found that they come off most often on the first dive after having been put on dry. Try dunking the belt in the water before putting it on. Seems to help.

Ive seen countless plastic belt buckles fail -try a metal one.

I've seen a finite number of metal blet buckles fail - try a wire buckle or a "SeaQuest" buckle, neither of which have I ever seen fail.

The OP said the weight belt was falling off, not coming undone. I think, like others that the belt is not tight enough initially and gets loose as the suit compresses. When I dive a wetsuit I would sometimes have to snug up the weight belt at depth but since I started using the Scubapro pocket weight belt, it stays put even if it is a little loose. The is a soft rubber band inside that adds friction.

I do like the Liquid Nails idea though :)

a7085844-9192-4e50-a2f8-c5939669b00f-pocket_weigh_belt[1].png

I recently took half of the considerable weight I was using in my weight integrated BC and shifted it to a rubber weight belt with the wire buckle, as recommended by Thalassamania.

Once I got the belt adjusted (just a bit of a PITA), it's a snap to don and doff and hasn't shifted or loosened at depth or anywhere else.

It's also made picking up and moving the rest of my rig MUCH easier.

Very simple solution, assuming you're using hard weights or threaded weight pouches: Rubber belt and standard stainless steel pinch buckle. Never shifts around. Quick one-hand release. I don't know why anyone would use a nylon belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom