Weight belt falling off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very simple solution, assuming you're using hard weights or threaded weight pouches: Rubber belt and standard stainless steel pinch buckle. Never shifts around.

I used that combo in the Quarry for a few dives. Worked well. Everything stayed in place. The one problem I had though was that the rubber belt was quite soft/flexible, which made it a bit of a struggle to don the belt over the crotch strap (wearing full gear essentially). I can see it being a good solution if you're using a regular BCD and can put the belt on first.

Henrik

Thanks very much for all the suggestions! I am sorry I wasn't more clear in my initial post, but my primary issue has been with plastic buckles (not fully latching or opening at unwanted times).

For those people that use the DUI system.....does it interfere with a bp/w and crotch strap setup ....or other bc's? and can it be used for tropical diving with only about 10lbs. (I am trying to avoid multiple belts/systems).

Two words describe why I lost my weightbelt too many times and finally got a weight integrated BC:

NO BUTT!!!

Thanks very much for all the suggestions! I am sorry I wasn't more clear in my initial post, but my primary issue has been with plastic buckles (not fully latching or opening at unwanted times).

oohhhhh plastic weightbelt buckles. Yeah the genius who thought that should be put on the market should have to make 1000 dives with one for punishment.

For those people that use the DUI system.....does it interfere with a bp/w and crotch strap setup ....or other bc's? and can it be used for tropical diving with only about 10lbs. (I am trying to avoid multiple belts/systems).

No. The system is a normal weightbelt. You just wear it like you normally do and close the crotch strap last so that if the belt does slip off you don't lose it, that's all. They don't interfere with one another at all.

The whole discussion you hear about this is if the belt should go under the other strap, where it's less likely to get lost but more likely to be a PITA if you have to dump it, or over the strap with the risks reversed.

R..

oohhhhh plastic weightbelt buckles. Yeah the genius who thought that should be put on the market should have to make 1000 dives with one for punishment.

This does not apply to those who are students who are just using the gear provided by your Instructor or dive shop.

Plastic weight belt buckles can be made of inferior materials and wear, fail or break easily. Some composite buckles, made by major gear manufacturers are well designed and will not fail with any more frequency than a steel buckle.

The problem is determining which buckle is good one is just too tough for most people so just replace them with a well made steel buckle. BTW, many steel buckles are poorly made as well. Buy one from a known reputable source.

I prefer the wire bail buckle, very secure but easy to open.

I prefer the wire bail buckle, very secure but easy to open.
Can this one be adjusted underway? If not do you find it workable to have just the single setting? The more positive closure of the Trident bail style seems appealing, but I wonder how well the single length setting would work under various exposure suit and depth situations.

Also, be advised that rental gear is s**t. I had a stainless steel buckle fall off x metres down, literally just fall into the depths, cos it was old and had been used several gazillion times by several million careless owners/renters. Doesn't matter what piece of kit it is, rental gear carries risks all of it's own - apart from wetsuits and tank, I've had every other bit of kit fail at least once underwater. It may be expensive, but start collecting your own kit - it makes diving a lot easier and more comfortable. Not to mention safer.

When you're desperately dumping air at 30m cos you no longer have any lead round your waist, and just prior to your trajectory into orbit, 10$ may seem rather little money.

Can this one be adjusted underway? If not do you find it workable to have just the single setting? The more positive closure of the Trident bail style seems appealing, but I wonder how well the single length setting would work under various exposure suit and depth situations.
The rubber belt has more than enough stretch to compensate for even the most extreme suit compression, you adjust it so it is snug on the surface and forget it.

rubber_weightbelt.JPG

The Seaquest buckle is an alternative positive closure device, of a truly ingenious design, it is easy to tighten with one hand and easy to ditch with one hand, it's only drawback is that it is not a good choice for a very heavy belt.

weightbelt.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom