Weight difference 5mil full -> 3mil shorty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTSkipper

Reaction score
First let me start by saying I know the best way to figure out what weight I need is in the water so please don't give that as an answer, I am just trying to get a rough idea of how much weight to drop.

I dive a 6lb BP with a 6lb Heavy STA and a Halcyon 36# Pioneer wing.

With my 5mil full suit I need to wear a 6lb weight belt.

Tomorrow I am going to head to the beach to get in a night dive to determine what weight I need exactly, however there is no good place to disasemble my BP/STA/Wing and switch to the BP/Wing with integrated STA at the beach. So before I go I am trying to figure out if I will need to drop more than the 6lbs on the belt when I go to the 3mil shorty, if so I want to take the BP/Heavy STA/Wing apart before I get there.

Anyone have any idea what the approximate weight I should drop is? If you dive a 5mil full and a 3mil shorty with the rest of the setup being the same, please let me know what weights you use.

For a little more info, both suits a Henderson Hyperstretch if that helps.

Thanks,
TTSkipper

In my case difference in buoyancy between 3mm full suit and 7mm hooded full suit was about 14lbs.

If I were you, I'd started with taking the adapter off and playing with the plate and a few pounds on the belt.

My 5 mil XL Henderson GC full is 12 lb buoyant. My 3 mil shorty is 4 lb buoyant. So you will probably end up a couple lb heavy. Doesn't sound like it is worth the trouble of reconfiguring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom