weight for wetsuit buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm wearing a wetsuit for the first time, a 3mm fullsuit. In saltwater, with trunks and t-shirt, I wear 4 lbs lead. Any ideas how much the wetsuit will add (in freshwater, 80 degree surface/65 degree depth)? I want to buy more lead if it looks like I need to.

Also, I'm using a web weight belt with hard weights. Do people still do that? I see all the pocket weight belts with soft weights, and I feel hopelessly out of date.

=Steve=

spthomas once bubbled...
I'm wearing a wetsuit for the first time, a 3mm fullsuit. In saltwater, with trunks and t-shirt, I wear 4 lbs lead. Any ideas how much the wetsuit will add (in freshwater, 80 degree surface/65 degree depth)? I want to buy more lead if it looks like I need to.

Also, I'm using a web weight belt with hard weights. Do people still do that? I see all the pocket weight belts with soft weights, and I feel hopelessly out of date.

=Steve=

What do you usually wear for exposure protection?

R..

I normally dive freshwater, and (of course you know) that salt takes more weight. For me 185# 3/2 Bare jumpsuit in fresh I was using 6#. The next few dives in saltwater I added 4# taking it up to 10#. I might have been a tad heavy, but it felt fine and buoyancy control was good.

I think you might be OK with the 4# you normally use. It wouldn't hurt to have extra weight just in case.

BTW, a lot of people still use the hard weights.

spthomas once bubbled...
I'm wearing a wetsuit for the first time, a 3mm fullsuit. In saltwater, with trunks and t-shirt, I wear 4 lbs lead. Any ideas how much the wetsuit will add (in freshwater, 80 degree surface/65 degree depth)?
Most people need to remove about 6 pounds when going from salt to fresh water. The buoyancy of a 3mm wetsuit is pretty close to 6 pounds (obviously varies with your size and the exact suit), so you will probably end up just about the same 4 pounds after a few dives.

If it is a new suit, you might need a couple extra pounds until it's been compressed a few times. It is also better to be a few pounds heavy than being too light, so I'd recommend starting off with with either 6 pounds or 8 pounds of weight, knowing that you may be 2-4 pounds overweighted.

Thanks for the info. The reason I have so little knowledge about this is that, with over 70 logged dives, I've only been down in freshwater 7 times, and 5 of those were my initial cert checkout in 1978! I have done all my diving in the Coz, Cayman, and Hawaii (tough, I know!). There, in 78-85 degree water, I dive in a t-shirt and trunks! So diving isn't new to me, but colder water diving is.

I bought a 6.5 mm 2-piece when I was in Illinois, but never got the chance to dive there, and I've lost 60 pounds so my XXXL suit doesn't fit anyway.

=Steve=

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom