• I only use weight integrated.

Votes: 59 57.8%
  • I never use weight integrated.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • It doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 13 12.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but weight integration systems distribute the weight over a larger area resulting in greater comfort. It is also not the only way to spread the weight out as many users of stainless backplates and weighted STA's will attest.

Weight integration is a PITA. More difficult to work with than a belt and once you've inserted the weights, it makes the BC more difficult to work with. Don't even ask me for help with your BC and tank if you have weights in the BC.

I'm not too fond of integrated weights. The are bulky and stick out too far on your side. They are a pain to setup also. I would rather find different ways to re-distribute weight so I could just stick with a smaller sized weightbelt.

Weight integration is a kluge. The first time I ever saw them on a BC in a shop, I 'accidentally' pulled the red release tab...DUMP.

The shopkeeper says disgustedly, 'Great, now I have to spend 15 minutes rethreading those...'

Told me what I needed to know.

Dont really care. Both have their places. I own a weight integrated BC but sometimes wear a belt. Depends on the dive, who my buddy is and how I feel. Either way....makes no difference to me.

Good Times.:)

I have a SeaQuest Diva QD with integrated weights. The weight pouches are held in with velcro. Sometimes I use a belt instead.

Pros:
  • More comfortable
  • Weight pouches stiffen the front of the BC and hold it down
  • Can ditch weights in two increments
  • Useful tool for gauging the commitment of a new buddy... I'm always dubious about buddies who show no interest when I go through the mechanics during a buddy check

Cons:
  • Not as convenient as a belt when I want to hand up my weights before I climb into the boat
  • Fewer options for attaching stuff to my BC because I need to provide access to the handles
  • Weight pouches take up space that could have been used for bigger pockets

IMO, the PITAness depends on the design. My weight pouches are easy to fit and remove, so I just take them out when I want to transfer my BC to another tank.

Zept

have to admit I prefer the WI. Find it much more comfortable. Also like the IDEA that if I need to dump weight in an emergency I shouldn't have to dump it all. Adds a level of Safety in my mind.
Not problem changing tanks, pull the pocket until you're done then reinsert them. Takes about 5 min. with my Mares.

i have a weight integrated BC and find it SOOOOO convenient on boat dives. i dont like how weights on a weightbelt dig into my waist/hips and it hurts

Zept once bubbled...

Cons:
  • Not as convenient as a belt when I want to hand up my weights before I climb into the boat

are you serious? i never take my weights out .. i strip my BC and hand it to the dude...

Shore dives are a different story and i wish I had a weightbelt I could pull and drag around til i get near the water.

I too dive with both, depending on what I am doing. or just average rec diving, I like the weight integrated BC. Streamlines everything better and I do not get those damn pressure sores on my hips. When I am going deep/penetration/working I will go with a belt, but sometimes split the weight up between the two. I find it is all personal preference. For me it is comfort.

Back
Top Bottom