Weight question. Possible DIY.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depleted uranium works well also.

Yeah, but you will probably have to coat it in lead for your own safety.

Bob
---------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I've read multiple people saying they've ad leaching problems.. They report a silver-metallic residue when they rinse the pouches.. I'm trying to avoid that.

With new commercial soft weights or with homemade weights using reclaimed shot?

Seriously, if this is important to you 316 grade stainless steel pellets are available. If I understand Damselfish's table correctly, lead is about 7/5 heavier than steel by volume so a bag that would hold 5 lbs of lead shot would only hold 3.5 lbs of steel pellets (assuming the same size pellet).

My understanding is that most of the better soft are coated to prevent lead leaching. I am not sure how long the coating lasts but you could probably coat them with some type of sealant to prevent leachin
i've found the 316 for relatively cheap.. I don't really require a lot of weight, so I'm not particularly worried about the volume.

i've found the 316 for relatively cheap.. I don't really require a lot of weight, so I'm not particularly worried about the volume.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Why not just put the soft weights in side a rubber glove or condom or a ziplock bag so they don't get wet underwater, no leaching if they don't get wet I would think.

Tungsten gets my vote too. Not too expansive, very dense (close to gold). The only issue is hard to mode to shape that you want. Depleted uranium is heavy too, but it is still radio active. SS is less dense than lead and more expansive, I don't see advantage of it as weight.

If it really is such a concern:

You can DIY pouches filled with tungston or bismuth. Source for the material would be any place that sells reloading supplies for hunters (Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc.). Lead was banned for duck hunting, so the industry shifted to these materials. It is already in pellet shape, so all you need to do is come up with the bags, fill and stitch....

If that doesn't work, a large purchase of air rifle BB's might work too.... they are either copper, or there is some new material being used (though I don't know about the corrosion factor of the new material being used)

If you really want to drop the need for lead, then switch to double HP120's or HP130's....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom