Weight question. Possible DIY.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've found the 316 for relatively cheap.. I don't really require a lot of weight, so I'm not particularly worried about the volume.

Then why not just go with solids and avoid leaching and rupturing. It's a less expensive forver solution. Worn correctly solids can be perfectly comfortable, especially in modest amounts.

Pete

Depleted uranium is heavy too, but it is still radio active.

You won't need a glow stick for night dives. LOL

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 06:39 PM ----------

Then why not just go with solids and avoid leaching and rupturing. It's a less expensive forver solution. Worn correctly solids can be perfectly comfortable, especially in modest amounts.

Pete

Hook needs to agonize over every gear decision or else he is not happy.

True that. I try to be as "green" as possible. I don't want o add to the lead content in our area. All the good Dive sites locally are being shut down due to lead content. I know the lead leaching isn't even measurable, but it's the thought of negative impact that tries me.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2013 at 10:41 PM ----------

I also like to know I actually understand my gear, which in my place in the game, means I ask questions. Most are annoying and trivial to those that have a chance to be around scuba when you would like.

Your questions are not annoying or trivial. You just seem to over think things. As others have mentioned people use lead weights because it is dense and cheap. If you are wearing neoprene then hard weights are not uncomfortable. You can even find coated block weights or coat your own using a sealant.

Lead does leach and I remember reading years ago some people were saying it damaged the reef however they provided no proof. I would think lead leaching from divers is minimal to the lead in fishing weights lost in the ocean.

I was bruised the last time I dove, with a 7mm wetsuit and about 20 pounds of wight on a belt. This is why I'm interested in the soft weights to help with that a little.

I think bulk is even more likely to cause bruising, so something less dense like rocks is not your answer. Besides soft weights, pocketed weight belts with hard weights can be much more comfortable than a webbing belt - the neoprene ones, or even the mesh and fabric kind. As a bonus it's much easier to adjust the amount of weight. You could also try moving some weight to your tank to lighten your belt, you might find you prefer some there for trim purposes anyway. Thread some on your tank strap for now, and maybe get some pouches if you like it that way. Won't be ditchable but you'll still have some that is.

It could be that the bruising is caused by the weight shifting not by the weight itself. Do you tighten the belt when you are at depth?

I have to or I would lose it. I adjust bc and weight belt.

The weights that the webbing weaves through belt are on the belt, not bearing on you. The ones that pass straight through bind the block or bullet against you and can be more noticable. Not all solids are consideed equal.

With kepers the weight should be own your side and even encroaching on your belly. This leaves the belt wrapping around you and the lead hanging. You want to avoid positioning weights such that they are up on your hip bone. There is some technique and thought that goes into a comfortable belt.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom