Weighting,Stupid Question !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why were you inflating anything when you were preparing to make an ascent?

jonnythan:
Why were you inflating anything when you were preparing to make an ascent?

As I read it, the incident occurred just prior to beginning the ascent ... using the drysuit to replace air (and buoyancy) lost as a result of the failure. This would be to establish neutral buoyancy prior to initiating the ascent.

Your choices in this case are either to inflate to the point where you're neutrally buoyant (and can control your ascent through breathing) or swim up to the point where you would become so. I believe the dive team chose the better option in this case.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
As I read it, the incident occurred just prior to beginning the ascent ... using the drysuit to replace air (and buoyancy) lost as a result of the failure.

What failure? You don't lose air when your inflator hose comes loose..

jonnythan:
What failure? You don't lose air when your inflator hose comes loose..

Perhaps ... but here's what was posted ...

The point is he was there, he anticipated my actions before I did, and didn't wait for me to sink before acting. I was overweighted but the problem was solved in the water and I learned some very valuable lessons.

Which would lead me to believe that the person posting wasn't neutrally buoyant at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good point. Sorry if it came across as bashing, I was just curious.

jonnythan:
Good point. Sorry if it came across as bashing, I was just curious.

Not at all ... I think it was a valid question.

Actually, I have seen inflator hose failures that resulted in a loss of air ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jonnythan,
NWGrateful got it right but your question was a valid one. I was mucking about with my buoyancy and got fixated on the inflator- that's how we reckon it got detached in the first place. One of the lessons I learned was to "bloody well leave the inflator alone " :)
There was no loss of air just a loss in buoyancy prior to ascending. I was, however, seriously overweighted though I didn't realise it at the time. A lot of that weight has now come off I hasten to add!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom