Weighting - This Actually Works For Me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh, it's off, as usual. But OP said it works for him, so whatever floats his goat :). (7pounds in swimsuit fresh water, I actually in a pool with just a swimsuit and 0 weight, I was heavy, even with very light fins)

Why does experience level has anything to do with weighting? Are they advocating overweighting new divers?...

Why does experience level has anything to do with weighting? Are they advocating overweighting new divers?...

I think most instructors tend to over weight their students. Its easier to deal with an over weight newbie by adding a bit of air to the BC than is is to deal with an under weighted student.

I think experience level CAN have an effect on weighting. A new diver with high anxiety will probably not have breathing under control and that can have an effect on buoyancy. Short breaths and not fully expelling the lungs will make you more positive than someone who is taking deep controlled breaths.
I know I have dropped weight, I think part of it was being overweighted to begin with and I'm getting more comfortable in the water

It give me the same answer for all choices, within the margin of error for all choices, including free diving. Needless to say the differences in reality are larger, however the weight is not unsafely out of line after adjusting for my plate, except for my Faber 120. After the plate adjustment, it seems to be a reasonable starting point for me, if I needed one.

I get my ideal weighting by adjusting weight in the water after diving with an empty BC, 500# pressure at 15'. What I usually wear is a couple of pounds heavier, or whatever I feel is proper for my dive.

Bob

Last edited:
Not accurate for me either -- too much weight. However, this might be a good place to start for some people and then adjust from there if you have no idea whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom