Weighting/Trim Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a difference in the weight needed in different water temperatures or just using different mm wetsuits?

No, as tbone1004 said. I put in too much information because I was trying to mirror the original post to show the contrast more clearly.

I thought about putting more weight on the cam band but I was using a rental BCD with AL 100 and there was barely enough extra strap to hold a 2lb weight.
Well, one thing I would do going forward is consider a change of cylinder. Personally, AL100s are probably my all time least favorite cylinder - 8 inch diameter (hence the available space on the strap), awful - for me, your results may vary - buoyancy characteristics, heavy on land, etc.
With my arms extended, I felt like I was slightly head down so I think my trim was good.
OK, sounds like you were getting where you wanted to be. One additional suggestion: it is always helpful to have someone - a dive buddy, etc - video you swimming u/w. Go Pro cameras are now so ubiquitously available that getting some video is not that difficult. If you can arrange it, by all means do so. I usually have a DM / friend video students in my PPB classes for that very reason, so they can see, rather than have me describe, what they look like in the water.

Well, one thing I would do going forward is consider a change of cylinder. Personally, AL100s are probably my all time least favorite cylinder - 8 inch diameter (hence the available space on the strap), awful - for me, your results may vary - buoyancy characteristics, heavy on land, etc.OK, sounds like you were getting where you wanted to be. One additional suggestion: it is always helpful to have someone - a dive buddy, etc - video you swimming u/w. Go Pro cameras are now so ubiquitously available that getting some video is not that difficult. If you can arrange it, by all means do so. I usually have a DM / friend video students in my PPB classes for that very reason, so they can see, rather than have me describe, what they look like in the water.

These were rental tanks - my SAC rate, skills etc. weren't what they should be on the last trip so I opted for a bigger tank. I improved a great deal (IMO) on this trip. Dives over an hour and still had 900-100 psi left. I've been good this year so Santa will be getting me a GoPro this Christmas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom