Weightlifting tip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still not sure about the 1g per pound. It's hard for me to get that much protein in a day.

The weight was about half of what I was using when doing 5x5.

Gains in strength and size. Granted a lot of body fat was lost too. I was increasing the amount of weight each time. I did a 3 day split that worked around my work schedulae. chest/back, legs/shoulder, arms 2 days off while working day shift, total body, next 2 days off since I then worked overnights. I work 2 day shift 2 nights 4 off.

My goal is to add weight at least every other week prefer to each week if possible.

QUOTEing=funkcanna

I disagree with this. People have too many carbs as they are everywhere, in particular simple carbs. People should eat more complex carbs but in general too many carbs and insufficient training is what makes people fat.

I partially agree. Too many people consume too many simple carbs.

Also please note - FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT! Your body is designed (through 1000's of years of possible starvation) to require fat. Eating plenty of GOOD fats is very important (oily fish, plain nuts etc). Saturated fats and in particular trans fats are what cause the issues.

Another kinda-sort agreement. Regardless of the source (protein, carbs, fat) it's too many calories for your activity level that causes unwanted weight gain.

I agree certain numbers regarding gains are down to the person, however I challenge that anyone will see more gains using a full body compound based workout, 3 times a week at high intensity coupled with a good diet, than they would with isolation exercises every 2 week.

Complete agreement on this and an addition. However, it's up to the individual to accept his/her body type and that winning the Mr/Ms Olympia might be an impossible goal. Finally, a workout composed of only isolation exercises will not be as effective as compound regardless of intensity or frequency.

i dont mean to hijack this thread but since you guys are clearly very experienced lifters, you may have had to deal with tendonitis. i started this thread but haven't gotten much in the way of help. feel free to chime in if you have any advice.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/st...263895-tendonitis-how-can-i-make-go-away.html

thx and sorry again for the thread-jack.

Assuming surgery is not needed, most that I've known simply allow the injury to heal itself over time. Yes, waiting is not much fun (we all want "it" now) but on occasion it's the best treatment.

Wow great info here. I lifted for a long time, then a shoulder injury goy in the way, trhen a knee injury kept me away longer and on and on, a bike accident with broken leg shoulder surgery...do you get the picture? Now old and fat, I'd like to get back into lifying but don't know where to start. We have a gym in our condo now I need a program, that's the problem I can't find one so does anyone of you divers have a program you could email me? I am off to Mexico in March and would like to gain some strength in my legs( awaiting knee replacements) so I can be a stronger diver. Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, I'm not a klutz I just wasn't nice to myself as a youngster, too many sports injuries without healing time.

What exactly is "one rep max" You talk about that but then you say your reps are 8x6x6. Where does the "One Rep Max" come into play? Thanks for your help.

What exactly is "one rep max" You talk about that but then you say your reps are 8x6x6. Where does the "One Rep Max" come into play? Thanks for your help.

How much weight can you lift, once, with good form, and not be able to do another rep unless you have assistance (i.e. a forced rep). If you google for "one rep max" there are plenty results that you can peruse.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd share my 1RMs' with you. Female, discovered the gym at age 35, lifetime drug free, 148 bwt: Squat 343, Deadlift 315, Bench 220.

This may be what it takes to get you to give me a nod about Exercise Information and Discussion for Scuba Divers for divers.

Let me know what you think.

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd share my 1RMs' with you. Female, discovered the gym at age 35, lifetime drug free, 148 bwt: Squat 343, Deadlift 315, Bench 220.

This may be what it takes to get you to give me a nod about Exercise Information and Discussion for Scuba Divers for divers.

Let me know what you think.

You are stronger than many men. Well done.

I peeked at your website and the only thing I saw, in the few minutes I was there, that gave me pause was the use of a leg press machine. Better to do squats.

Back
Top Bottom