Weightlifting tip!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I need motivation I watch one of Ross's vids.

...and if your worried about this stuff...don't watch it!

Disc Extrusion
Congenital Scoliosis
Spondylosis
Spondylolisthesis
Candidates for Vertebroplasty
Cases of remarkable upper cross sysndrome
Advanced cases of rotator cuff injuries, the most common involving the supraspinatus.
Chronic Patellar tendonitis
SI Joint disorders

YouTube - RossTraining.com Compilation - 2003 through 2008

The stuff he's doing may not be CrossFit, but he certainly has a "crossfit-like" mentality. :cool3:

Well, Ross is heavy duty. If some of us trained like him we would burn out quick and stop. The OP mentioned being inconsistent with training. It helps if we mix things up for some of us so we don't get bored. With me, I'm an older guy do have to be careful not to get injured by getting too gung-ho.

Here is an interesting thread with tons of photos of workouts of all sorts.

RossTraining.com • View topic - Post your training pictures!

I highly, highly recommend this book and DVD from Ross. I'm only sorry I took so long to order it myself. It's really an outstanding value for what he gives you for $20.

RossTraining - Full Throttle Conditioning

Well, Ross is heavy duty. If some of us trained like him we would burn out quick and stop. The OP mentioned being inconsistent with training. It helps if we mix things up for some of us so we don't get bored. With me, I'm an older guy do have to be careful not to get injured by getting too gung-ho.

I like variety as well... and have to be careful not to suffer over-use injuries. That's one of the main reasons that I stopped going to the CrossFit Affiliate and started doing it at home instead. It does little good to keep up with the 20-somethings today and then be unable to move for the next two days... lol.

I agree with the poster who suggested a full body workout every three days and cardio for three days, taking one day off to recover.

Personally, I find that if I'm doing a full body workout, it's basic excercises in circuit training with a few minutes of rest between every two or three. I also find that I have an hour to complete the circuit in. I only have an hour for maximum results, and any longer is detrimental.

The circuit I do is:
15 - 25 jumping jacks at a 4:1 ratio. (4 jumping jacks = 1 (1,2,3,4,1! 2,2,3,4,2! 3,2,3,4,3! 4,2,3,4, 4!)

Following this is a set of squats and pushups at a 20 : 20 set. (20 squats then immediately 20 pushups. I do this either 20 each or break them down to 2 sets of 10. Either way, I'm alternating between the squats and pushups.)

2 minute rest.

Diamond pushups and engines at a 20:20 ratio. (Same setup as with the pushups and squats. Do ten or twenty of one, then immediately do ten or twenty of the other. Engines are where you hold your arms out in front of you, and you lift your legs so your knees touch your elbows. Ideally.)

Dive pushups and mountain climbers at a 10 : 20 ratio. (Ten dive pushups then twenty mountain climbers in a 4 count set, same as jumping jacks.)

2 minute rest, and my arms are feeling like lead at this point. And this is the last rest.

Flutter kicks and leg raises at a 20:20 ratio in a 4 count set. For the leg raises I alternate between bringing them to my chest and rotate to engage my abs and liftimg them in the air, and lifting my abs as well, so only my shoulders, neck, arms and head are on the ground.

Ab bridges and butt blasters at a 20:20 ratio in a 4 count set. I call it ab bridges because I'm in situp position, and I bring my abs up so my chest, abs and knees are at a 45 degree angle. The butt blaster is where I'm in this position and I bring one of my legs up as high as I can.

Following this is as many situps as I can, which is usually around 35 at this point. These excercises don't require weights or the use of a gym. I find that they work my entire body as I want them to and I'm pretty sore at the end of it. Sometimes it takes me less than an hour, depending if I rifle through it. If I rifle through it, it takes about 30 - 45 minutes, and I don't do any more, unless I want to puke.

For the cardio I usually jump rope, jumping jacks, plyometrics and walk. Oddly enough, my shins get sore if I run. When the water is warm, I swim into the ocean for as far as I can or dare to go, for as long as I can. Then swim my back. And I'm done.

Feel free to use this for yourself or modify it to your needs.

Glad I can amuse you dude! -puts on sunglasses and thumbs up-

Got a bit carried away. That's all.

Edit:

I had a friend who I lifted weights with and when we lifted together, she always made sure that we had protein before and after workout.

Back
Top Bottom