Weights - DIR way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maximdim

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm beginner dry suit/backplate/double tanks diver ;-) and trying to do things in DIR way. My current setup is double OMS LP 98s, SS backplate and Explorer 55lb wings + dry suit. Cold fresh water (Great Lakes). Now after couple pool dives it looks to me that I might need couple extra pounds to stay comfortably neutral with almost empty tanks and thick underwear. May be later when I get more practice I might get away without any weights at all but for first couple dives I fugure I'd better have it. Say 4-6 pounds.
Anyway - my question is what would be the proper way to wear weights - is it a weight belt wearing on top of the harness or is it a bad choise? Anything else? I don't recall anything about extra weights from DIR-F book, does it mean that I should try to get balanced rig and not use weigth belt at all?
Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

If you only need 4-6lbs i would use a V-wheight or a channel wheight

Sounds like it would be perfect for you to use a weight belt underneath your harness. Throw three 2lb bullets on it and remove as needed.

bwerb:
Sounds like it would be perfect for you to use a weight belt underneath your harness. Throw three 2lb bullets on it and remove as needed.

Sorry if I'm being thick (well known for it in here) but doesn't underneath make it difficult to ditch ?

Get a nice cannister light :wink:

maximdim:
Hi All,

I'm beginner dry suit/backplate/double tanks diver ;-) and trying to do things in DIR way. My current setup is double OMS LP 98s, SS backplate and Explorer 55lb wings + dry suit. Cold fresh water (Great Lakes). Now after couple pool dives it looks to me that I might need couple extra pounds to stay comfortably neutral with almost empty tanks and thick underwear. May be later when I get more practice I might get away without any weights at all but for first couple dives I fugure I'd better have it. Say 4-6 pounds.
Anyway - my question is what would be the proper way to wear weights - is it a weight belt wearing on top of the harness or is it a bad choise? Anything else? I don't recall anything about extra weights from DIR-F book, does it mean that I should try to get balanced rig and not use weigth belt at all?
Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

Its more dangerous to lose a weight belt with a dry suit. With a wet suit the weight is outside the harness, and inside for a dry suit.

Ditching weight is the last thing you should ever do and if diving correctly in both methould and weighting you should never have to ditch weight.

Dan Gibson:
Get a nice cannister light :wink:
Yea forget the $30-$40 for a weight belt the $200-$1200 can light is much more fun. :eyebrow:

BTW I just got a 18 watt sartek and have used it more dry then wet......one more month befor the season gets underway :crafty:

Weight belt is the simplest. Wearing a weight belt with only 4 or so pounds on it will be hardly noticeable. It's also semi-ditchable, but I don't know how important ditchable is with a drysuit and doubles. On the other hand, it's one more thing to have to put on.

A v-weight or channel weight will be the most worry-free. It just bolts on to your rig and more or less disappears. It's a few more pounds to pick up at once.

salty:
Ditching weight is the last thing you should ever do and if diving correctly in both methould and weighting you should never have to ditch weight.

Thats why i suggest the V-weight when diving dry.. if you ever lose that dichable wheight you will blow the needed stops and that would be a big concern for me and not a risk i would take

Even if you would have to ditch weights would that be smart ??? if you cant get down on full tanks and ditch the wheight on lower pressure tank you will be extremely boyant

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom