Weird -- Dive Lights as Weapon Mounted Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mossberg 590 is a nasty recoil weapon (As is any 12 gauge) and because of that a weapons light must be able to withstand the sudden recoil. What you have to consider when you are placing a light on any weapon especially a pump action shot gun is that the light MUST NOT interefere with the action of the pump for obvious reasons in a fire fight. Because of this you have consderations unique to a shotgun of firs off how to mount the light. You can mount them on the barrel but the intense recoil coming down the barrel instantly calls for some very strong and durable mounting hardware. It must also be an insulated mounting for the light as to absorb some of the recoil and not pass it directly into the light itself. If there is no insulation in the mounting ring then its possible it would damage the light.

Another consideration is there are several pressure switch lights on the market that have a small wire running to the light itself but these prove to be challenging to mount on a shotgun as the ideal place to place these switches is where the shooter supports the front of the weapon with his hand. With the actions on a shotgun this makes this impractical due to the fact the pump will slide when utilized thus tearing the wire, the switch or damaging the light. placing the switch on the barrel poses a risk to the shooter because of recoil, heat and the impractical nature of attempting to control the firearm when the recoil comes down the barrel

The only real solution you would have is a steady burn light in which you would have to continue to reach up to the front of the gun to turn on and off. The reason surefire is so expensive with the Shotgun lights is because you are not buying just the light. You literally have to remove the entire pump action and replace it with one they supply that mounts the light directly in the front of the pump and slightly lower which helps to clear the baynotte mounting. These slides also provide the battery compartment as well.

Being a person in the law enforcement community and one who has unsed a Mossberg in tactical situations I STRONGLY encourage you not to go cheap with anything you do to make a weapon more reliable and dependable in a firefight. If it breaks or malfunctions then the results would not be ones you would want in that situation.

I realized I hadn't really updated the thread, so thanks for the advice, but let me update:

I'm going Surefire for the 590 and Larue .308. I was really looking for a water-proof option for my 5.56 which I use for a "ranch gun", so it will be consistently dropped in water and mud, so water-resistance is the more important concern. I'm staying away from pressure switches, except for the slide-mounted rig for the 590. That one seems pretty solid. I just hate extra wires and crap, and I have huge hands so being able to hit a tail-switch with my left thumb is pretty easy.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

The Canadian in the room is wondering why you would need a light on a weapon?

Lots of reasons... If you need to use a weapon in a home defense situation, it's good to be able to identify your target, bonus points for being able to blind the target first.

If you're out in the woods, it keeps a hand free, and again allows you to identify your targets at much longer ranges than standard hand lights. (ie, Mag Light)

You'd have to understand why it's important to have a weapon before you understand why the weapon benefits from accessories.

Lots of reasons... If you need to use a weapon in a home defense situation, it's good to be able to identify your target, bonus points for being able to blind the target first.

If you're out in the woods, it keeps a hand free, and again allows you to identify your targets at much longer ranges than standard hand lights. (ie, Mag Light)

You'd have to understand why it's important to have a weapon before you understand why the weapon benefits from accessories.
Yes, where I live there is no good reason to own a hand gun, and no reason other than hunting to own a rifle. I guess there is a context problem there.

The Canadian in the room is wondering why you would need a light on a weapon?

Canadians are a myth perpetuated by northern states to keep their kids from playing in the woods at night. "Don't go in the woods or you might end up in Canada and those evil Canadian RCMP red snow monsters will eat you!"

/s

Yes, where I live there is no good reason to own a hand gun, and no reason other than hunting to own a rifle. I guess there is a context problem there.

There are Canadians who live in bear country who would call you insane.

There are Canadians who live in bear country who would call you insane.

To be clear, not all Canadians are afraid of guns.

Some of us actually recognize them as useful tools. And yes, they can sometimes just be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom