Weirdest thing you've found in the ocean blue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a week worth of diving in Palau, my brother and I kayaked on our last day. Prior to lunch we snorkeled on the reef near the beach where we were to have lunch on. Between the two of us, we must have picked up at least a dozen D size batteries off the reef. We returned to the beach for lunch and asked some locals (working on a camp site) where we could dispose of them. They asked where we got them, we said the reef, they thanked us for doing our part and found a proper place for them. We were then invited to lunch with them, eating freshly cooked fish served on a palm frond w/coconut milk straight from the source!!! Better lunch than the pre-made sandwich from the dive shop. So in a way, the weirdest thing I found, was new friends and lunch.

A tiny octopus living in a Coors light can...

A baby moray living in a coke can. He stuck his head out the hole on the pot of the can and watched the world go by until he outgrew the can. See my pics

With our diving club we did a lake cleaning some weeks ago, what we found near the beach:

the usual:

Bottles
Lighters
Cans

but what suprised the owner of the beachclub:

a dozen chairs
3 tables
Decoration plants

I dive a lot in Queens NY off the beach at a popular local site called Beach 8th street and every dive I find something strange. Just this weekend in one dive I found a complete fishing pole, a beard trimmer complete with growth lol, various change, a ton of spark plugs, and a jar of what appeared to be rocks and human hair. Of course I also found a 4 foot dog fish, two large trigger fish, and three banded butterfly fish along with the usual crabs, lobster, stripers etc...

As for dive gear, I have found a suunto compass, several fins, knives, masks, and a dry glove lost in a lobster battle.

One weekend we were diving there the news reported that a swimmer drowned just down the beach and the body was yet to be located. Talk about a creepy feeling every time I bumped into a large rock in 3 ft of viz!

help clean up the trash, as we did on a trip in panama city, had clean up day........................what difference does it make to you about the gun, you think that it could have been used for something bad.

or what maybe its the guns fault if some PERSON used it for some unlawful act, dont blame the person , blame the gun , it did it.

from the south, PROUD of it, and keeping my guns (bought or found)

Not sure how I got your wetsuit in such a twist... :shakehead:

We did clean up what we could. I drug a chair back to shore, but we had a storm coming in, were at the end of our second dive for the day, and I was starting to get low on air so that was all I could personally manage.

As far as the gun, I'm a police officer, so that was my concern. Hey, he found a gun, he wants to keep it, more power to him. However I have had just enough cold cases that I would have liked to get the info for the firearm. It might make all the difference in the world for catching someone. And oh, did I mention I'm a police officer? I'm well aware of the fact that criminals pulling triggers hurt people, not guns. I'm an avid gun collector, user, and believer in the 2nd Amendment. I have a concealed carry permit, and also utilize my rights under HR218, I carry my firearm everywhere except the airport and when diving. Hell, i'm looking at getting certified to fly with my firearm, and if i could figure out how to dive with my gun, i might do that too.

So i'm sorry I had to wake up your irritability with my first post, but try not to jump up on your high horse so fast next time.

Oh, and I'm also a deep rooted southerner, born and raised in the country outside Memphis. I'm only in Ohio for business and my wife dragged me here.

And let's be polite, and show that we can be southern gentlemen, and either call a truce or take this duel to pm's. I'm sure no one else here cares to read an argument.

Last edited:
I found a woman :)
We were diving off the shore in Bonair where there were some very nice homes. We were at about 50ish feet and I was admiring the scenery when I looked up and a young woman in a black bikini was coming at me. She swam over to me, grabbed my octopus and dove along side me for about 10 minutes, gave me a wave then went back up and out of the water.
When we got back up on the dive boat I saw here sitting on her porch having a drink.
This sounds like the first chapter of a Carl Hiassen book or something...excellent!:eyebrow:

I found a large new skin board at Spanish Rocks in the Gulf Sunday in 25 ft of water. Rode it underwater all the way up to the beach and handed it to some little kid after I scared the dog p*ss out of him when I stood up. He was watching the float drift into shore and had no clue. Laughed my butt off. He was tickled with his prize.

A very large, very nice, newly immersed antique dresser. Looked like oak, four drawers, wrought iron handles, the works. If we'd had lift bags we might have given it a go, but we figures we'd leave it for other divers to enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom