well dressed diver 1967

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pictures like this make me laugh. Really highlights the “superior training” that everyone talks about from the “good ole days”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not judging...it was certainly a different time. But comparing scuba training in the 60’s to scuba training today is not apples to apples.

Pictures like this make me laugh. Really highlights the “superior training” that everyone talks about from the “good ole days”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not judging...it was certainly a different time. But comparing scuba training in the 60’s to scuba training today is not apples to apples.

It wasn't the "superior training" so much as the fact that we had to swim up current (both ways) just to get to and from the training site.

I suppose 50 years from now there will be a whole new batch of “whippersnappers” laughing at us! Interesting thread nonetheless.

I suppose 50 years from now there will be a whole new batch of “whippersnappers” laughing at us! Interesting thread nonetheless.

If you think I’m laughing at the diver, I’m not. I’m laughing at the “training back in my day was one course, freediving through cave” nonsense that gets thrown around here from time to time.

If you think I’m laughing at the diver, I’m not. I’m laughing at the “training back in my day was one course, freediving through cave” nonsense that gets thrown around here from time to time.

My response was not directed at you or anyone else. I am simply pointing out from a nostalgia standpoint 50 years from now our equipment and behavior will be scrutinized and considered quite entertaining. Of course Jet Fins will still be sold at EVERY local dive shop!

Last edited:
My response was not directed at you or anyone else. I am simply pointing out from a nostalgia standpoint 50 years from now our equipment and behavior will be scrutinized and considered quite entertaining. Of course Jet Fins will still be sold at EVERY local dive shop!

What it really shows is nothing is perfect. There are parts of the old days and the new stuff that would be nice to meld together. I would love a wetsuit that was as stretchy and comfortable as Yamamoto 45 but as compression resistant as Rubatex G231n. Times and markets change.

What it really shows is nothing is perfect. There are parts of the old days and the new stuff that would be nice to meld together. I would love a wetsuit that was as stretchy and comfortable as Yamamoto 45 but as compression resistant as Rubatex G231n. Times and markets change.
It’s possible that someone may invent a noncompressible wetsuit that is gel filled and self heating under pressure, with no (or minimal) weight swings.

It’s possible that someone may invent a noncompressible wetsuit that is gel filled and self heating under pressure, with no (or minimal) weight swings.

It has been done with minimal success. Dick Long of DUI gave me a sample in the late 1970s of a gel-like material with plastic microspheres. It had Nylon adhered on both sides like wetsuit material but was barely positively buoyant and expensive to produce. It also was a little less stretchy than Rubatex.

Last edited:
Snorkel ?

Can anyone identify the regulator?
I think this is a White Stag second stage, as they did have the orange lettering. I have one in my collection.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom