Well I did it... New toys for me! And a couple of BP/Wings Questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Well yesturday I went up to the wonderfull Seattle area for a day of shopping, on my list of places to stop were REI (never had been) where I found some nice new polartec long underware for my drysuit. And Fifth Dimension Dive shop (I ened up going to both stores, and liked the Kent much better, had more DIR type gear on display) I walked out of FifthD 2hours later (including running off to lunch) with a 36# Pioneer Wing, BP, and Harness :), as well as a ScubaPro Mk25, S550 Primary, and R380 Backup Regulator, with Hogarthian/DIR hose config of the 7' Primary hose, and 22" backup hose, on a necklace.

What a glorious day, I can't wait to get out and dive it all... I'm really looking forward to my club dive this month as there will be other BP users there to help me make sure I have it all set up proper. FifthD set it up and helped me adjust it some, but it still needs some tweaking, with D-Ring locations, and with me wearing my dry suit. Plus I think he tightened the harness more when he put the wing and all on. I think I have my chest Drings located right (at my collar bone) but I think the harness is too tight, I don't think I'll be able to get it on with a drysuit on. The waist strap also seems like it needs loosening on the buckle side, it's sitting just a little too close to center line, and the Crotch strap needs a little work.

On the crotch strap there is the one Dring on the back side (butt area) where exactly is that supposed to be? should it be up close to the plate, down by my butt, or ??

Well Thanks to all for the help in convincing me that the BP/Wing and long hose are not just maybe the Right Way but the Best way... I can't wait to dive it, and I can't wait to see the look on my Rescue Diver Instructors face when he sees my hose config and BC :D Also, how bad is clorine on all the gear? I know it's bad, and I don't really want to take my gear in the pool, BUT if it's what I'm going to dive, I need to do the pool skills using my rig, especially since it is not the same config as what my instructor has.

a lot of folks don't have the shoulder straps tight enough! You should be able to reach over with your right hand to you shoulder dump valve on the drysuit though.

Pool cholorine is really bad (IMO) and I certainly wouldn't subject any of my dive gear to it. I don't get why you need to go to the pool with an instructor who doesn't dive a bp/wing DIR setup. Why are you not doing this in shallow water with folks from your club who do dive the same rig? You are AOW certified right?

BTW, the butt ring needs to be in a location that you can reach back and touch it with your right hand... too high and the tank(s) will be in the way. Be sure to put your crotch strap loop through the front d-ring to hold it out of the way if you are not scooter diving.

Hey... you shouldn't have come all the way up here without diving with your dear Uncle Pug... what's up with that?!?!

Ok some clarification on my part Pug. I'm doing Rescue Diver this term in School, it get's me a credit twoard my degree, and farther education. My goal ATM is to eventually reach (which might be sooner as one other school has the class available) DiveMaster, and possibly Instructor through my current agency of PADI. On top of that I plan on doing IANTD Nitrox, Deep Air, and maybe Tri-Mix (all of which are way down the road just due to the cost of the classes, except maybe the Nitrox, and DM Class)

So thats what I meant, I'm going to be diving it with a non DIR or BP/Wing instructor. I've already used the BP/Wing before of course, and my club dive in 2 weeks will be with some DIR type people (actually not sure they are DIR, but deffinately Hogarthian) etc... But my class will be the typical Rescue Diver class through PADI, only I feel it's important to do it with my actuall O/W rig. And yes I am curently AOW. I'll play with the butt ring when I can, I think I have it in a location that fits all that criteria.

The reason I didn't go find UP and Dive is that I wasn't up alone, and couldn't go diving... I was up with someone else, and didn't have the opportunity... HOWEVER!!!! I just got a call Thrusday about a Job I applied for and they offered me the job, which I will be calling them back and accepting on Monday, at a summer camp, in Bellvue (on W Lake Sammaish, just off I-90) SO!!! UP, I will be in Seattle area ALL summer long, and NEED a dive buddie or 2... Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge :wink: :D

I belive I start up there end of June or Beggining of July, and will be there 8weeks, until early September, I really hope to get out diving a BUNCH while I'm up there... not sure how weekdays (evenings) will work, but I know we will have from Friday Afternoon/Evening until Sunday Afternoon off each weekend, so I know all but like 2 of my saturdays (staff functions) will be free, and I will just HAVE to get wet while I'm so close to prime diving...

PM me if you want, and I can give you more details on where I will be located, and my Cell Phone/E-mail... More likely than not, Cell Phone will be the best way to reach me, as I'm not sure how good of access I will have to E-mail other than stopping in weekly to a friends house in Redmond.

Hope that clarified some, I will check the D-Ring and such later, and as soon as the Aquaseal dries (found 2 small holes in my drysuit after last dive :() I will check the fit with my suit on.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
I walked out of FifthD 2hours later (including running off to lunch) with a 36# Pioneer Wing, BP, and Harness :), as well as a ScubaPro Mk25, S550 Primary, and R380 Backup Regulator, with Hogarthian/DIR hose config of the 7' Primary hose, and 22" backup hose, on a necklace.

Cool!! Good choices on everything. :thumb:

Congratulations on your BP/wing.It must be an epidemic or something. I wish i could go visit fifthd in person.

I was thinking of selling mine and buying a transpack or similar. Ok im only kidding so calm down.... :D Sorry i couldnt resist.I love my BP/wing more everytime i dive it.

Here is a link to help adjust your BP http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_album.php?set_albumName=equipment&page=1

If your lucky and sweet talk pug ill bet he would custom fit it for you.If not go be the web and keep your fingers crossed.I had my shoulder straps way to tight at first and man was it miserable.Properly adjusted its a dream.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
I'm really looking forward to my club dive this month as there will be other BP users there to help me make sure I have it all set up proper. FifthD set it up and helped me adjust it some, but it still needs some tweaking, with D-Ring locations, and with me wearing my dry suit. Plus I think he tightened the harness more when he put the wing and all on. I think I have my chest Drings located right (at my collar bone) but I think the harness is too tight, I don't think I'll be able to get it on with a drysuit on. The waist strap also seems like it needs loosening on the buckle side, it's sitting just a little too close to center line, and the Crotch strap needs a little work.

On the crotch strap there is the one Dring on the back side (butt area) where exactly is that supposed to be? should it be up close to the plate, down by my butt, or ??

Congratulations! I'm a new convert myself and just got back from a DIR/F course this weekend where I had my fit adjusted so let me share the wealth as best I can.

1) Harness ... you want it pretty tight with dry suit on .. try wearing the dry suit and bp/wings and bend over (be nice!) so you're torso is horizontal to the ground. In that position you (or your partner) should be able to get about two fingers between your harness and your chest. You don't want it too tight, but it'll probably get a little looser in the water so you might want to wait till after a dive or two to adjust it.

2) Chest rings ... think DUI on the highway ... seriously, standing with your arms directly out to the sides and bring them straight in horizontally and that's where your ring should be.

3) Waist strap ... I assume you mean buckle position. Yes, it should be just right of your center so the crotch strap can come up right in the middle (now isn't that fun). Knife goes on the waist strap to the left of the crotch strap.

4) Crotch strap, you want it tight, but your waist strap should still be at your waist.

5) Front D ring - this is your scooter attachment point, so unless you're ... scootering ... flip the ring up and thread the strap though it to keep it out of the way.

6) Rear D ring ... you want this about 4 fingers distance down from the bottom of your BP. Higher and you won't be able to reach it (under your tank), lower and things will hang down too much and be in the way.

Hope that helps ... and again, welcome to the wonderful world of BP/Wings!

~<//><

ziggys_friend are you saying you have two D rings on your crotch strap? Never seen that - what's the rear one for?

cheers
Jonathan

Jonathan once bubbled...
ziggys_friend are you saying you have two D rings on your crotch strap? Never seen that - what's the rear one for?

cheers
Jonathan

Halycon straps have 2. Butt is supposed to be for reel or tying off SMB stored in bp pouch. Remember something about using it to tow your spare Gavin.
Also a nice conversation item:)

MD

Congrats, Will. I'm sure waiting to dive the new gear is killing you, I love that feeling! :D

I'd love to join you and UP for some diving while you're up here this Summer. We can PM about it later.

Have fun dialing in the fit on your harness, you'll have it "just right" in no time.

Back
Top Bottom