Well, that was a new one...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever. I wasn't mocking the gear configuration anyway. I was mocking all of the DIR elitists that chime in here all the time with "You're going to die if..." nonsense. Honestly, when it comes to DIR I cheerfully admit that I DON'T know what I'm talking about.

I was certified to dive in 1982 and with over 500 logged dives I'm still alive and know next to nothing about DIR. Just like 99% of the rest of the diving world.

-Charles

My friend... I can only say I am sorry for you, your view is a little shortsighted.

I am not so experienced as you are, at least in terms of certification time, maybe you are much better diver than I am, I was certifyed 10 years after you, and yes, I adopted the DIR philosofy, because I believe in what what it says, but absolutely never imposed it to anyone and don't thing it makes you better or worse diver (and for sure nobody is dying for not following DIR standards...), it is just a way to do things (not just equipment configuration) that suits me, and everyone has the right to choose the way they thing is better. I will have as buddy anyone that I trust in, regardless of philosofy. The only diference is that if this diver doesn't follow same ideas as me, as his standards can be different, I will take some time to study his equipment and agree on some contingency plans before going in the water and I am sure he would do the same. In fact, most of the guys I dive with are not DIR followers and are GREAT divers and are ALIVE!!

Just one more comment, not making foolish statements of something you don't know have nothing to do with being DIR or not, not even with being a diver or not, it is just a common behaviour of inteligent people.

It will never, ever, happen again:

DSC_0018_2.jpg

Done it to many, many regs. A little GOOP goes a long way.

On mine? I don't even use a cable tie.

Done.

Hey Brad
Much obliged for the offer amigo! I may do that when we have our next dive outing. You may remember that I quizzed you a bit on the system at CSSP a week or so ago, and I've been wondering about it for some time now. I'm certainly not opposed to the arrangement, by any means.

No problem Bill. Yes I do remember our talking about my long hose setup. Had I been thinking better that day, I would have let you try it then.

How about trying it at Lake Murray in a couple of weeks?

Sounds like a plan, Brad! Let's start looking for a date that will fit our schedules.

Hoomi, that is certainly true. The reg does, of course, work fine without a mouthpiece. On the dive it happened to me, though, my hands were pretty occupied. Holding the reg is always an alternate strategy, to be sure.

My friend... I can only say I am sorry for you, your view is a little shortsighted.

Just one more comment, not making foolish statements of something you don't know have nothing to do with being DIR or not, not even with being a diver or not, it is just a common behaviour of inteligent people.

Ha! ha! Man I love Scubaboard. First you call me your friend, then you proceed to pity me and then swing some comment about me being foolish. I really do need more friends like you.

It almost seems that consuming the DIR Kool-Aid flushes out your sense of humor. I'm just poking you guys with a stick. You don't have to get all defensive about it.

-Charles

Sounds like a plan, Brad! Let's start looking for a date that will fit our schedules.

Hoomi, that is certainly true. The reg does, of course, work fine without a mouthpiece. On the dive it happened to me, though, my hands were pretty occupied. Holding the reg is always an alternate strategy, to be sure.

How about June 27th or 28th? The 28th would work better for me, but either one should be good.

As it turns out, I recently had an experience that I considered sharing, then changed my mind, then saw this post.

I had my gear serviced (as we all should) and after the service re-routed hoses, replaced my "necklace" and did everything necessary to make sure I was confident in my configuration. I mean I spent a couple of hours going over everything to make sure I knew that everything was tight and ready to dive without issues.

The next day my dive buddy and I made what we would consider to be a fairly conservative dive but still technical. My newly serviced reg (Poseidon Jetstream) was breathing just fine. Actually was impressed with the way it was tuned. We explored one area, then turned to change direction and explore another. As I was swimming, I turned my head to look to the right, then I turned and looked to the left. Suddenly I had an explosion of bubbles in my face and inhaled water. The water hit the back of my throat, but I exhaled it through the reg (I thought) before it got any further. The next breath brought nothing but water which didn't get very far before I exhaled it again, but this time I spit out the mouthpiece and grabbed my backup underneath my chin.

My backup reg was delivering air, seemed to be without any issues, but I COULD NOT GET ENOUGH AIR. By now my buddy had come to assist me and had shutdown my reg that was freeflowing (Thanks buddy!) . I should mention that we were diving in an area where you can only see what your light shines on (There is no light in there...and yes we are both fully certified) I motioned to him that I was having trouble breathing and wanted to share air (I DID NOT GRAB HIS FROM HIM), and waited until he was prepared and handed me his reg. I continued to try to breath from his reg with the same result as breathing from my own (couldn't get enough air). He gave me the "OK" I answered with "problem, hard to breath" and "thumb up" to end the dive. We made our way to open water and began our ascent still needing to deco. When I got to about 50 feet, I was still breathing uncontrollably and finally just closed my eyes. Stop, think, breath. I got it under control. Gave buddy his reg back, and went back onto my backup. Picked up my deco bottle and completed decompression all the while thinking about what had just happened. Found my primary reg and discovered that my mouthpiece was missing. Then, all of a sudden, it was clear to me what had happened (I honestly did not know up until that point).

1. I never checked or tightened the zip-tie on my mouthpiece (checked everything else twice or three times, but not this 2 cent piece of life support equipment)

2. A mouthpiece without a regulator is a straw when you are underwater.

3. When you inhale to start the flow of gas and then lose the mouthpiece on a jetstream, it freeflows like mad.

4. When you are in a place where there is no light, an explosion of bubbles (strong enough to unseal my mask) in the face while you are gagging on water is not immediately identifiable as something that has a good reason (from now on it will be).

5. When water hits the back of the throat, even though you might be in control of everything else, you cannot control (without thinking about it) your body's desire to breath hard and fast.

6. Closing the eyes and focusing on breathing (nothing else matters until this is under control) works, but you have to first...close your eyes....second....breath calmly and deeply until it is under control. Stop, think, breath (from OW training).

I have intentionally left out dive profile information, location, etc. because I wanted to tell the story from the perspective of my feeling. It was terrifying and I do not scare easily. I was as close to panic as I think a person can get without being completely out of control. A lost mouthpiece on a reg is probably not a big deal if it is a sunny day, plenty of viz and it does not happen in the middle of pulling a breath. But, what if viz is bad? What if it is a night dive? What if you aspirate the water? What if my buddy had been same day same ocean (I would have shutdown my own post, but you get my point) instead of hovering a few feet away from me.

I learned a few valuable lessons, and I hope my experience at least gives you something to think about. I took something for granted (that my zip-tie was tight) even though I checked everything else and could have drowned as a result of it. I'm not saying that you can't trust LDS, just that you should check your own gear fully. Putting a mouthpiece back on a regulator for a customer, can't possibly be done with as much love as doing it for yourself.

5. When water hits the back of the throat, even though you might be in control of everything else, you cannot control (without thinking about it) your body's desire to breath hard and fast.
You may well have experienced some laryngospasm too, a not uncommon reaction to water hitting the voice box. The vocal cords slam shut... you can still exhale just fine but inhaling is all but impossible, and if you don't recognize what's happening it can be terrifying! This video is a little slow (ok, it's a lot slow) but excellent in showing the phenomenon. Note especially the sound of inhalation during the spasm.
6. Closing the eyes and focusing on breathing (nothing else matters until this is under control) works, but you have to first...close your eyes....second....breath calmly and deeply until it is under control. Stop, think, breath (from OW training).
I can't improve on that advice :)
Rick

I'm not a doctor, but that video certainly reminded me of how I felt, and I was making the same sound. Don't know how controllable a laryngospasm may be, but I can tell you that for me, it did not subside until I finally closed my eyes and concentrated on slowing down my breathing (btw this whole episode lasted for 2 mins and 20 seconds, but it was a llloooonnnggg 2 mins and 20 seconds).

It's difficult to describe, but I was not breathing uncontrollably because I was unaware, it was like hyperventilating or even vomiting, my body was doing something without my consent.

Anyway, thanks for the video, it was a truly terrifying experience and fortunately, just a hard earned learning experience rather than something worse.

... I was making the same sound. Don't know how controllable a laryngospasm may be... it was a truly terrifying experience ...
If you were making that sound then that's a mighty good indicator that you did have a laryngospasm. If you don't know what's happening to you then it is absolutely terrifying. As far as I know there is no way to "control" one, but the sooner you stop, relax to the extent possible and breathe slowly the sooner it will pass and you can press on. The key thing to remember is that the phenomenon, though not "controllable," is "self limiting" - but remaining calm and patient, firm in the knowledge that you have plenty of oxygen in your body to weather it, is still difficult even when you do know what's happening.
Just another reason why losing a mouthpiece isn't trivial, and a thorough pre-dive check of "stupid little things" like zipties is important.
-> Note: I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. My post above is based on personal experience and not medical book learning or knowledge - it does not constitute medical advice, nor does it claim to be medically accurate. <-
:)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom