We're real!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everybody. I just stumbled across this and was wondering if someone could give me the proper steps to take to go wreck diving. I am at college in Athens, OH right now, but will be moving back to Ashtabula for the summer and I would like to do some diving in Lake Erie. I got my open water certification in June and am going on a Blackbeard's cruise for spring break, so I will have a little experience. Thanks for your help, Chris

christopher1260:
Hi everybody. I just stumbled across this and was wondering if someone could give me the proper steps to take to go wreck diving. I am at college in Athens, OH right now, but will be moving back to Ashtabula for the summer and I would like to do some diving in Lake Erie. I got my open water certification in June and am going on a Blackbeard's cruise for spring break, so I will have a little experience. Thanks for your help, Chris

Diving on a wreck isn't a big deal - the biggest hazards are usually fishing line and sharp things poking a hole in your suit. Solid bouyancy skills, a sharp pair of cheap EMT shears and buddy close by will pretty much take care of the "extra" requirements, but you'll have all of those things, anyway, won't you?

Diving in a wreck is a big deal - now you're talking restricted access to the surface, things falling on top of you, getting lost inside, zero visibility - technical diving, in other words. Although the diving is more aggressive, it's also actually more conservative at the same time. Redundant gear, sharply defined procedures, highly developed skills, etc. You'll need some experience and additional training for this. Fortunately, there are a bunch of wrecks in Lake Erie, which means that there are a bunch of instructors around the neighborhood.

I'm not familiar with your part of Lake Erie, so I can't give you much help locating an instructor, but spending some time at the local shops and quarries is usually a good way to start. I'm particularly fond of spending some time watching the ebb and flow of the crowds at the quarries, you can find out who the local instructors are and have a chance to actually watch them at work. The most popular seems to be Gilboa, on the west side of the state, but there are at least several more scattered here and there.

Maybe some of the Ohio folks can chime in with some suggestions...and welcome to the board!

Just thought I'd pop my head in and say hi! I'm looking forward to participating in the forum and meeting some fellow divers from the Great Lakes area. I'm always interested in diving new places, drop me a line if you have a spare seat on a boat!

Cheers!

Will

SHPWRCKDVR:
Just thought I'd pop my head in and say hi! I'm looking forward to participating in the forum and meeting some fellow divers from the Great Lakes area. I'm always interested in diving new places, drop me a line if you have a spare seat on a boat!

Cheers!

Will
Keep an eye on this forum, our first boat trip is in June (sorry, full up). Anybody want to start the ball rolling on a second one? :54:

frankenmuth_tom:
I've found that diesel fuel poured over an empty 12 pack box that's stuffed with newspaper will get a fire going in almost any amount of downpour. Don't ask what I was doing with diesel fuel around a Honda Accord.

The last time we were camping there, the guy next to us lit his fire with a road flare! The whole place was lit with a ghostly RED glow for a half hour! He assured me the two road flares will light ANY fire, no matter how wet the wood is!

I usually try to bring DRY wood....

Propane torches work well too :)

MgicTwnger:
Keep an eye on this forum, our first boat trip is in June (sorry, full up). Anybody want to start the ball rolling on a second one? :54:

I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short again! Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to have to keep a sharper eye on this board if I'm going to get on the dive charters! Any news about a waiting list?

SHPWRCKDVR:
I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short again! Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to have to keep a sharper eye on this board if I'm going to get on the dive charters! Any news about a waiting list?
If anyone cancels, I'll post it: first come, first serve, but everybody seems solid.
FYI, anybody can organize a trip. Reefraff and Juls64 did the ones last year. This is my first attempt, and it wasn't too difficult. Kind of fun, actually.

MgicTwnger:
If anyone cancels, I'll post it: first come, first serve, but everybody seems solid.
FYI, anybody can organize a trip. Reefraff and Juls64 did the ones last year. This is my first attempt, and it wasn't too difficult. Kind of fun, actually.

Hmm....sounds like an idea! Just taking a barometer reading, how many divers would be interested in doing a charter out of Milwaukee? Jerry Geyer runs the Lender out of Milwaukee and offers both deep and shallow dives. Please let me know you interest and ability level (deep, shallow.....) and perhaps I could organize a charter for the summer.

Cheers!
Will

SHPWRCKDVR:
Hmm....sounds like an idea! Just taking a barometer reading, how many divers would be interested in doing a charter out of Milwaukee? Jerry Geyer runs the Lender out of Milwaukee and offers both deep and shallow dives. Please let me know you interest and ability level (deep, shallow.....) and perhaps I could organize a charter for the summer.

Cheers!
Will
We dove with Jerry twice last year, everybody likes him. Keep the level to recreational depths, since it's open to everyone. Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom