We're real!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

'Nother question...

Anyone going to the ScubaFest thing in March here in Ohio? Any previous visitors? Worth the time?? Highly recommended? or NOT? Let me know. Thanks

AmyJ:
:wink: That sounds really cold!!!! any more info? Only have warm water experiences.... so.... brrr..... but, could be lots of fun.... Is it camping? families too, or just divers? Can it be dived without a dry suit?? :ermm:

Many people dive Gilboa without a drysuit. I would recommend a very thick wetsuit and lots of warm beverages between dives though. Mike welcomes families. I would recommend keeping the younger divers-to-be away from the beer though. And it is very nice as campgrounds go. You have showers and running water near the office.

Did I mention on our part that surface support to guard the adult beverages is greatly appreciated? :wink:

Oh yes, while it is cold, there are lots of things to see and it is a great place to stay in practice. It wouldn't be that bad in a thick wetsuit and it is very comfortable dry.

...we'll have a couple 5th wheel trailers there to use as 'warming huts', as I'm bringing mine and so is one of the other guys. If it's cold during the day, I'll leave the furnace running and it'll provide a warm place to change and warm up, as well as a place to cook hot coffee and choc and stuff.

Camping at the quarry is very nice, but mostly quite primative (no power or running water away from the office) and we will be down near the end of the road. I like to set up across from the "far" steps and platform, so you step into the water right over the sunken airplane. That way, it's just a short walk across the road once you hit the top of the stairs, to a place to sit, and change clothes and so on. The campground is mostly kid friendly, and there is plenty to do. The other thing that I really like about Gilboa is that it is VERY safe. People tend to leave their dive gear laying around everywhere, with no thought about loss or theft. This is a great environment to meet other divers, see all kinds of equipment configurations and share stories and lies.

Hope you can find the time to join us! It'll be going on in good weather or bad, and will be a good time!

AmyJ:
Is it camping? families too, or just divers? Can it be dived without a dry suit?? :ermm:
Ahhh....Gilboa...camping...wetsuit diving and good times are had by all. At least that's the way I choose to remember it.

In reality when I go up there to camp...it rains like crazy, the water is cold (but certainly diveable in my wetsuit), and the beer somehow disappears. I've found that diesel fuel poured over an empty 12 pack box that's stuffed with newspaper will get a fire going in almost any amount of downpour. Don't ask what I was doing with diesel fuel around a Honda Accord.

Yes, families are welcome...but beware there are loads of divers. I will be there in April, I may or may not be camping, and I'm definetly diving wet.

www.divegilboa.com

I've found that diesel fuel poured over an empty 12 pack box that's stuffed with newspaper will get a fire going in almost any amount of downpour. Don't ask what I was doing with diesel fuel around a Honda Accord.

The last time we were camping there, the guy next to us lit his fire with a road flare! The whole place was lit with a ghostly RED glow for a half hour! He assured me the two road flares will light ANY fire, no matter how wet the wood is!

I usually try to bring DRY wood....

I didn't have road flares....but that is clearly another resourceful option when you don't have dry wood....or a dry environment.

why are you bringin a bear?...beer I can see...but why the furry beast?

...if I bring my bear too! Looks a little strange, a 50 year old, 6'-4" 270 lb man with a stuffed bear, but I'm used to strange looks!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom