Were you taught dive planning using tables or computers?

Were you taught tables or computer & were you taught how to plan a dive?

• I was taught tables, but not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • I was taught tables and was taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 183 70.9%
  • I was taught to use a computer and was not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I was taught a computer and was taught how to plan a dive with the computer

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Some other variation, please explain

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Certified in 1989 (YMCA) using Navy tables - computers were far from mainstream then..... I got a PADI Wheel to be on the cutting edge (and I still use it). Though I do own a dive computer now, I actually find it faster to look on tables for the initial planning of a dive than getting through the computer screens.

Right off the bat I have to say, I'm not a table genius, but after a quick review I can remember how to use them. I guess what I'm looking for here is to figure out if this is normal or if she was just not taught well. And I'm interested to see how others have been taught dive planning with a computer.

I learned how to dive before dive computers were available to the average diver. I think I made about the first 600 dives without a computer (ergo on tables) and eventually had the NDL's for all divable depths memorized.

These days I use a computer on most dives but I use it mostly as a navigation instrument. For the most part the number in the back of my head is still the one on the table.

The number of times in 1500 dives that my computer has gone into deco when I wasn't expecting it was.... zero. The number of times that I worked off that deco obligation by watching my computer was ... zero.... Never the less, I like having it because it gives me confirmation that that what *I* thought was what the computer thought too...

R..

I was taught tables back in 1991 and knew how to use them to plan a dive. However, a few months later I got my first computer which was a Sherwood Source. I've never used a table since and no doubt don't remember exactly how to use them. But then again I have never needed to use one and can certainly see why many agencies don't require them to be taught anymore.

In 1978 I was taught tables when I did my scuba diving course with NAUI. It is only in 2009 when I resumed diving in a more regular fashion that I decided to acquire a computer. By going through the owner manual, I learned to use it for planning, in the water and post dive very quickly for air and nitrox dives. However I always carry my dive tables with me on dive trips as well as a waterproof watch just in case my computer would start acting funny.

I took my OW with PADI about 5 years ago and we used tables. Since no mention was made of gas planning, I don't think that we were taught to actually plan a dive.

Well I'm not going to tell you that I'm an old fart but when I first started diving we had to calculate for the weight of the large stone tablet and chisel that we used to record our dives on.

All kidding aside I've been diving with a computer on deep dives since 1993 and I still use my tables and watch for a lot of the shallow stuff and preplanning.

FB-Florida Scuba Diver

I took my OW with PADI about 5 years ago and we used tables. Since no mention was made of gas planning, I don't think that we were taught to actually plan a dive.

Good point. PADI taught how to find the longest you could stay at whatever depth, and how long of a surface interval needed to be back at a certain letter group etc.

But there never was any mention of planning before hand how much gas you needed. It was pretty much this is your max limits, but you will never reach it because of air constraints. SAC is a whole new thing to me now, wasn't even mentioned in AOW

The standard PADI course still uses either the tables or the eRDPml--the calculator-type device. The eRDPml gives the same results as the tables, but you are not going to be making the most common table errors of reading the wrong column or row. The eRDPml also allows you to plan multi-level dives, just as the wheel did.

It is possible for a student to select a computer-based OW course instead. In that case, the curriculum is different. It goes quite thoroughly into the use of a computer, including using one for dive planning.

It is correct that the standard PADI curriculum does not include gas planning, figuring that in standard recreational diving, a diver simply needs to monitor air pressure and ascend at an appropriate time. (I am among those who believe more should be taught.) PADI has approved an advanced dive planning distinctive specialty that includes gas planning and much, much more. You will have to find an instructor who is certified to teach it, though, and there aren't many. The plans are for the academic portion of that class to be available on the PADI web site in the coming year.

We were taught dive planning with both tables and computers during our PADI OW course. Frankly, I've never used the tables outside of that class, but it's good to know.

Back
Top Bottom