Were you taught dive planning using tables or computers?

Were you taught tables or computer & were you taught how to plan a dive?

• I was taught tables, but not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • I was taught tables and was taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 183 70.9%
  • I was taught to use a computer and was not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I was taught a computer and was taught how to plan a dive with the computer

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Some other variation, please explain

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught tables, but not really taught to plan dives. I learned that quickly from some mentors who helped me along as a newbie. I soon embraced using computers & planning the dives with them. As an instructor, I go over the basics of how the tables work (why their computers say what it says), but teach primarily computers & how to plan dives using their computers.

I was taught tables as computers had not been invented at the time. I did by a computer that worked by absorption of nitrogen so it did not need a batterie. I like Duracell but not enough to stake my life on them.

I.was certified with SDI where, although tables were introduced, explained and practiced with, computers were the focus. During a recent EANx class with a SSI shop, there was more focus on tables, but computers still figured prominently.

Dive planning during my OW class was explained, however, not to the degree that everybody was comfortable with. It was more, this is how it's done but follow your computer.

So i guess I was taught both, but dive planning instruction was a little on the light side.

I was taught to plan a dive with the eRDP. The multi-level one was not out yet. I was not taught about gas planning but rather the maximum time I could spend at a given depth and then repetitive dives the same way with surface intervals. I dive with a computer but I have the eRDP and I also bought a dive log book that had the tables in the back. I usually fill out my dive log using information from my computer and I normally use the computer for planning based on NDL. I like to plug the numbers into the eRDP just for fun.

When I started diving computers where rare and not cheap. I was taught tables but not really dive planning. I now own a computer but always carry tables and wil periodically use tables just to keep my head in it.

I was taught tables and how to plan dive by tables all through Basic OW to Rescue. When I did my Divemaster (same instructor as Adv and Rescue) I was again placed to review tables. I personally like to keep checking my Letter group after dives just for practice and also in the event where I would need to fall back on them.

Planning on a computer was never really taught, since not all computers have a multi-dive planner and not all computers are the same. We were taught how to read and access the log of our computers though.
We were also advised to read our computer manual cover to cover and know how to understand it's read outs with confidence before ever diving with it. I was also told to understand the computer's functions and uses confidently before ever planning with it.

Maybe I'm buyist because of this training, but I think learning on tables is far better than learning on a computer. Computers are a dime a dozen, where as tables all work in the same way, the only huge difference is the NDL's and reasoning/research behind it.
It's hard to understand how your computer comes up with your dive plan with out taking for granted that it's based on an algorithm. But with tables you can at least visualize and see how you've come up with a certain plan. You're still relying on an "algorithm" so to speak but at least you can see how you're plan makes sense.

You can learn to plan with a computer in Basic OW, but as soon as you get your hands on a different computer, all that goes out the window. I've had to read my personal computer manual several times over before I could fully work with it's in's and out's. I think teaching dive planning on computers is just more complicated than tables, and you don't really get to understand the science behind it.

I just finished a PADI OW course (and if it wasn't for Irene canceling dives Sunday I'd be done, darn it!!) and we learned tables. Very little was covered involving computers. They were discussed some but not to any real extent. I understand the need to learn tables as fundamentals but it would be nice if computer use was covered a little more. I guess it would be tough with all the different computers available though.

PADI: I was taugh tables only, with no other information on how to plan a dive. Just shown the tables and did the unit review.

YMCA: I was taught tables along with how to calculate air consumption and properly plan a dive. The idea was to train independent divers.

I taught myself how to use my computer, a Dive Rite Nitek Duo. I just read the manual.
I usually use it as a gauge now, along with a Uwatec bottom timer.

My wife uses an Aeris wireless computer, she read the manual and taught herself.

I gather that instructors are going to handle the computer/tables/both approach differently. It's worth asking first.
One of the forum members here has a web site with online lessons for different computers. Seems like it might be a good idea to take the class on your specific computer.
I can't remember his user name.

-Mitch

Greetings Jeni I was taught tables and how to plan dives from OW into the Adv. Nitrox / Deco.
I was taught to use computers from OW on as well but I always backed up dive plans with tables and deco schedules
Old school or just paranoid does not matter, PREPARED is what I try to be!
Even light fun dives it is good to have a plan that includes a back up!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom