Were you taught dive planning using tables or computers?

Were you taught tables or computer & were you taught how to plan a dive?

• I was taught tables, but not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 32 12.4%
  • I was taught tables and was taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 183 70.9%
  • I was taught to use a computer and was not really taught how to plan a dive

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I was taught a computer and was taught how to plan a dive with the computer

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Some other variation, please explain

Votes: 19 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planning - Bring back the NASDS Scuba Time Calculator!!!!!!! (I do see NAUI has one and I hear SSI may have one too - that is a GREAT planning tool!)

Thanks for raising this question, particularly the portion on "planning a dive." Too many certified divers do not "practice" dive planning and quite frankly are not competent in this area. Perhaps they are content to go on guided dives, or let more experienced buddies do it, but that is sad. We should all take a lesson from our techie brothers and sisters- dive planning is the beginning of dive safety. That's why I still calculate pressure groups per the tables after every dive, and after surface intervals. I use my computer, but I stay current on the tables, and even play with the wheel now and then (remember the wheel?) for multilevel dives.
Years ago when I was certified in Maui, mu instructor, who happened to also be a course director- a guy who teaches instructors to be instructors- had almost memorized the tables. I like to play a game of guessing pressure groups based on depth and time, and after 13 years am getting better at it every year. I wish all divers knew how to use the tables and how to plan and carry out a safe dive or series of dives. That's what it means to be a scuba diver, amateur or professional.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Last edited:
I was certified last month with SSI. We learned tables and planning. Not much on computers. Our instructor told us that when we buy a computer to bring it by the shop and he would teach us how to use it. Same thing in the EANx class I took with him. Went over the combined tables/EAD alot.

I was taught tables, and how to plan my no decompression time. But I was not taught how to plan a dive -- I was not given a framework for the information that needed to be considered, including navigation, time underwater, what responsibility each buddy had, how we were going to manage our ascent, what protocols needed to be reviewed and which signals clarified, and of course, nothing about gas management. There is a LOT more to planning a dive than just what your no-deco limits are.

I was taught tables,the 'wheel',computer, how plan a dive,how the roll with the flow,by (2) great PADI directors. Now I'm a retired dive guide living the easy life in Cebu,Philippines. Also learn alot of very useful information on SB & from fellow SB'ers I have met in my diving travels.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Yeah, I think the point of confusion is what "taught how to plan a dive" means in the poll. I personally was taught by my OW instructor how to do NDL calculations on the table, and then went and actually did the dive we calculated. Similarly, my AOW instructor had us plan a multilevel dive using the Wheel, which we then carried out. I consider that a planned dive.

From the perspective of many SBers, I'm sure that's laughable. I hadn't even heard the terms SAC rate, rock bottom time, etc before I found SB.

I was taught with the eRDP. Planning dives was definitely part of the class but I don't think it was very well explained as a lot of people in the class definitely didn't understand it and when they asked questions they were mostly glossed over and moved along to keep up with the time schedule.

We did have the option of buying a computer and being shown how to use that specific dive computer but I opted out of that option.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the point of confusion is what "taught how to plan a dive" means in the poll. I personally was taught by my OW instructor how to do NDL calculations on the table, and then went and actually did the dive we calculated. Similarly, my AOW instructor had us plan a multilevel dive using the Wheel, which we then carried out. I consider that a planned dive.

From the perspective of many SBers, I'm sure that's laughable. I hadn't even heard the terms SAC rate, rock bottom time, etc before I found SB.

You are right, I did not make that very clear. I was actually just looking to see if students were told how to calculate the NDLs. As my friend was not told how to figure that, besides watch your computer NDL limits.

I agree completely with everyone that said there is more to dive planning that just NDLs. I also wish gas planning was part of the instruction too, as that is what will be the defining limit to most people in the beginning. What I really wish would happen when someone is certified is they do their 4 skill OW dives. Then, the student would have a few dives where THEY are the lead. I think you can learn a lot from being in charge, and it would be good to do while the instructor is right there with you.

I think a lot of us would also say that a good mentor can be invaluable. SB has been my mentor. I'm hoping that I can pass that info on to my friends as well.

You pose an interesting question. I was trained in the early 60's and was taught the USN Tables and how to plan a dive. Later training included using a dive computer and various mixed-gas/saturation tables.

It would be interesting to understand how the respondents would answer the question: "What does dive planning mean to you?"

Does minimal dive planning include tide / altitude tables, emergency rescue/evacuation proceedures, the identification of rip currents and other hazards before you get into the water, etc., etc.? What is deemed to be adequate dive planning at the level of initial certification? An interesting question that may have different answers which may also vary from one location to the other...

I was taught that the computer did the work for me. I called BS and taught myself the tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom