West Coast Yakers, Where Do I Begin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe you should forget the diving and get a couple kayaks and go kayaking. That is half the fun of owning one. Maybe start on a lake somewhere. Then a jaunt out into the ocean. After some more dives and more kayaking go out with a small group and take her diving.

Weight integrated is never a good idea. Doffing your kit underwater would leave the diver dangerously light with the kit, read air supply, trying to hit the bottom. You weights should only be offsetting your exposure protection. Basically you should be slightly positive then your backplate and steel tank will add in the remaining weight needed to sink you and it should have a wing large enough to float them.

Also NEVER clip anything at the surface to yourself. Always hold it in your hand. This is a big safety issue. I can understand clipping something to yourself for 20 seconds to perform a task, say writing a note, but then it should go back to being held in your hand once underway again.

I still say rudders are nice to have. No necessary. I don't have one on my Scupper Pro, but I do on my Hobie. In fact the Hobie sucks to paddle without the rudder.

FWIW a small inflatable boat might be another option. Since getting a 14' Zodiac, our kayaks only get used for touring around.

We have been kayaking in the intercostal. We live right off Honeymoon Island just north of Clearwater Beach and have rented kayaks. My wife likes what she is comfortable with, she likes diving and she likes kayaking, she just isn't ready to mix the two yet and thats fine with me.

I'm doing the research now so that when we are ready we'll make the right decision. No point buying the wrong style/type.

A kayak based skin dive you might consider is paddling up the Weekie Wachee from Roger's Park to the upper river and skindiving back down with the current while towing your kayaks behind you with firmly held ropes. everything should be stowed carefully to keep from getting knocked off by occasional overhanging branches. The diver can swim at a dazzling speed with the current ( don't bother with scuba, the depths aren't great enough). You are lucky, I can't even get my wife to snorkel or kayak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom