West Palm Beach in July...Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go down to WPB for a few days every August and I always make the effort to dive with Kevin at underwater explorers in Boynton every time. You don't get voted best outfit in S Flo however many times for nothing
I don't know if the goliaths will be at the Castor wreck in mid July but if they are it's a "must do" and Kevin will gladly take you

Attachments

• BHB.jpg
    BHB.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 237
Go for it, I didn't draw it, I just spent 10 minutes looking for the best layout of the park on Google and settled on that one.

Thank you all for the great advice! I hope to get some reservations made this weekend and your suggestions will be very helpful.

Hi,

We live in Ft. Lauderdale but do almost all of our diving in West Palm/Jupiter/Boynton. Our suggestions, going from north to south, and not in any order of preference, are:

Jupiter:

Operators,
Scubaworks (Capt Sl8r) charters. Great operation, very nice boat, can set you up with HP steel tanks (100s and 120s) if you want, and any nitrox mix you want.
Jupiter Dive Center. Similar comments.

Jupiter "Must See" Dive Sites:

Zion Wrecks. Not because they are spectacular wrecks, but because the draw large aggregations of goliath groupers during the late summer mating season. You might be a little early for that, but definitely worth a look as some are always there. Max depth 95'.

MG-111 Wreck. Depth 60'. A sunken barge. It never disappoints for huge variety of fish life. A great second dive after the Zion or reefs listed below.

Juno Ledges: These are reefs that start in about 75' and drop down to 90-95'. The prettiest reefs in Jupiter. The best areas are called Spadefish Point and Monkey's Ledge. Both are absolutely gorgeous. Drift along the drop (pretty steep with 20' of profile and don't bother swimming up on top. You see goliaths, turtles, sometimes sharks.

Tunnels: A shallower reef system, about 60'. You really need to do this on a high tide. It is close enough to the inlet that the outgoing tide brings murky water out. If you do this time it for a trip that takes place on high tide. Another very nice reef. Tunnels is famous for lots of Caribbean reef sharks. Also has goliath grouper and turtles. Again, a great second dive.

Deep Ledge/"Hole In The Wall": This is a deep and advanced dive on reef ledges at about 125 to 135'. There is a swim-through at about 137' (the "hole") but we have not done it as I am not going overhead at that depth without redundant/tech gear, which I don't have, but others do it on standard single gear routinely. Whatever your risk tolerance is. This is a no-margin-for-error challenging dive. Currents can be very strong and can jam you up in the reef or blow you off the site. The dive is short (9 minutes or so no-deco). You need special nitrox mixes of 28% (Scubaworks can set you up with that, in a steel 120--mandatory minimum size tank for this dive in my opinion). If you go into deco you have to be able to hold your stops while drifting, which means being able to deploy your smb from depth.

The payoff is spectacular large marine life. Bull sharks, reef sharks, even hammerheads are common sightings here, along with goliaths and occasional surprises like mola-mola, mantas or whale sharks (don't count on those, but they happen a few times a year).

West Palm Beach. You have already been in contact with JASA. You can't go wrong with them. IF, however, you need other operators, I like Pura Vida Divers and Narcosis Dive Charters. Pura Vida is a shop that can set up with all gear and the charter. Narcosis works with local shops but Force E is one of our favorites as well.

Dive Sites:

Mizpah wreck. A large very nice wreck with lots of growth and fish life. 85' deep or so.

Breakers Reef: Several different areas such as Breakers, Ron's Rock, Horseshoe, Flower Gardens and others mentioned above. These are 50-60' and are beautiful. We see LOTS of turtles on these reefs and July is prime turtle season, you should see quite a few.

Blue Heron Bridge: Of all the dives, this is the ultimate "must see" if you are interested in fascinating macro life. You have read about it I am sure. We usually are in the water 2 hours before high tide to an hour after high tide as the vis decreases rapidly when the tide changes. We use steel HP 100s which you can get from Force-E and give us almost exactly 180 minutes.

Boynton Beach:

Operators: We use Underwater Explorers. Can't comment on anyone else because we like them so much we haven't used anyone else. The "must see" locations would include:

Castor Wreck: A variety of depths from 120' to 70'. This is a huge wreck with lots of life and big fish sighings are routine.

Black Condo Reef: Simply beautiful, 50' or so. A perfect second dive.

You have plenty to do during your 5 days here! You are going to LOVE drift diving. It is great fliding along the reef effortlessly, and even drifting onto and away from wrecks instead of struggling down and up a line in a stiff current.

BTW, I recommend the grouper tacos (fried or blackened-I liked the fried) at the Tiki Hut in the Riviera Beach Marina. Good fries too.

... What are the "must sees"?......

Clematis Street at night can be fun with lots of night clubs. Or if you are really into night life, a long walk on the beach and you might observe a turtle laying eggs (rules apply). Right now the reefs are just packed and loaded with turtles and if you get a hatchling run or egg laying, it will make your entire vacation.

Sea Turtle Hatchlings, Sebastian Fl. - YouTube

Or visit the Loggerhead marine center just 15 minutes north of JASA which is a great site for divers.

P.S. Trust me on this tip.......Pack a hooded vest in your dive bag even if you don't use it, just incase of an upwelling. That's a prime week for them.

I am very excited to hear about the turtles! I LOVE turtles and have yet to see on in the wild.

Hi,

We live in Ft. Lauderdale but do almost all of our diving in West Palm/Jupiter/Boynton. Our suggestions, going from north to south, and not in any order of preference, are:

Jupiter:

Operators,
Scubaworks (Capt Sl8r) charters. Great operation, very nice boat, can set you up with HP steel tanks (100s and 120s) if you want, and any nitrox mix you want.
Jupiter Dive Center. Similar comments.

Jupiter "Must See" Dive Sites:

Zion Wrecks. Not because they are spectacular wrecks, but because the draw large aggregations of goliath groupers during the late summer mating season. You might be a little early for that, but definitely worth a look as some are always there. Max depth 95'.

MG-111 Wreck. Depth 60'. A sunken barge. It never disappoints for huge variety of fish life. A great second dive after the Zion or reefs listed below.

Juno Ledges: These are reefs that start in about 75' and drop down to 90-95'. The prettiest reefs in Jupiter. The best areas are called Spadefish Point and Monkey's Ledge. Both are absolutely gorgeous. Drift along the drop (pretty steep with 20' of profile and don't bother swimming up on top. You see goliaths, turtles, sometimes sharks.

Tunnels: A shallower reef system, about 60'. You really need to do this on a high tide. It is close enough to the inlet that the outgoing tide brings murky water out. If you do this time it for a trip that takes place on high tide. Another very nice reef. Tunnels is famous for lots of Caribbean reef sharks. Also has goliath grouper and turtles. Again, a great second dive.

Deep Ledge/"Hole In The Wall": This is a deep and advanced dive on reef ledges at about 125 to 135'. There is a swim-through at about 137' (the "hole") but we have not done it as I am not going overhead at that depth without redundant/tech gear, which I don't have, but others do it on standard single gear routinely. Whatever your risk tolerance is. This is a no-margin-for-error challenging dive. Currents can be very strong and can jam you up in the reef or blow you off the site. The dive is short (9 minutes or so no-deco). You need special nitrox mixes of 28% (Scubaworks can set you up with that, in a steel 120--mandatory minimum size tank for this dive in my opinion). If you go into deco you have to be able to hold your stops while drifting, which means being able to deploy your smb from depth.

The payoff is spectacular large marine life. Bull sharks, reef sharks, even hammerheads are common sightings here, along with goliaths and occasional surprises like mola-mola, mantas or whale sharks (don't count on those, but they happen a few times a year).

West Palm Beach. You have already been in contact with JASA. You can't go wrong with them. IF, however, you need other operators, I like Pura Vida Divers and Narcosis Dive Charters. Pura Vida is a shop that can set up with all gear and the charter. Narcosis works with local shops but Force E is one of our favorites as well.

Dive Sites:

Mizpah wreck. A large very nice wreck with lots of growth and fish life. 85' deep or so.

Breakers Reef: Several different areas such as Breakers, Ron's Rock, Horseshoe, Flower Gardens and others mentioned above. These are 50-60' and are beautiful. We see LOTS of turtles on these reefs and July is prime turtle season, you should see quite a few.

Blue Heron Bridge: Of all the dives, this is the ultimate "must see" if you are interested in fascinating macro life. You have read about it I am sure. We usually are in the water 2 hours before high tide to an hour after high tide as the vis decreases rapidly when the tide changes. We use steel HP 100s which you can get from Force-E and give us almost exactly 180 minutes.

Boynton Beach:

Operators: We use Underwater Explorers. Can't comment on anyone else because we like them so much we haven't used anyone else. The "must see" locations would include:

Castor Wreck: A variety of depths from 120' to 70'. This is a huge wreck with lots of life and big fish sighings are routine.

Black Condo Reef: Simply beautiful, 50' or so. A perfect second dive.

You have plenty to do during your 5 days here! You are going to LOVE drift diving. It is great fliding along the reef effortlessly, and even drifting onto and away from wrecks instead of struggling down and up a line in a stiff current.

These sound wonderful! Very helpful to get an idea of the depths. I just found out one person in our group is only OW and not Nitrox certified. I'm hoping to find some sites that can enjoyed by divers with differing levels of experience.

As much as I would like to see the "hole" and all it has to offer...it's a little outside my comfort zone.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 10:38 PM ----------

BTW, I recommend the grouper tacos (fried or blackened-I liked the fried) at the Tiki Hut in the Riviera Beach Marina. Good fries too.

Never had fish tacos...this sounds like to good place to try them first!

These sound wonderful! Very helpful to get an idea of the depths. I just found out one person in our group is only OW and not Nitrox certified. I'm hoping to find some sites that can enjoyed by divers with differing levels of experience.

The boats are usually a mix of experience so the OW will not limit that diver as much as the nitrox. Their bottom time will be shorter so most likely they will be the first one up in your group(unless there is a real air hog). On drift dives, that will mean going up alone or that someone from your group will have to cut their dive short to go up with him/her. If your friend is able to find a course, I highly recommend he/she get his nitrox certification prior to the trip. If he/she is also in the WS area, NADCO in Greensboro has a class listed for the 26th.

Never had fish tacos...this sounds like to good place to try them first!

Never had fish tacos? You're in for a treat. Having grown up in Southern Califorinia, I'm extremely fond of the Baja California/San Diego version. If you like them, you may want to try them in a few locations to discover your favorite. Google Baja fish tacos or authentic fish tacos for more information than you might want, including an infinite number of recipes. My wife and I try to replicate our favorite and do quite well.

You probably won't have the chance, but my favorite in SE FL are from Sharkeys Pub/Galley Restaurant down in Key Largo next to Ocean Divers and Hyperbaric International Sharkeys Entertainment These are really delicious after a day on the Spiegel Grove, the Duane and the Key Largo reefs. They happen to have a good beer seletion too, the perfect accompaniment.

Good diving, and eating, Craig

+1 for nitrox certification, if not, dives will be much shorter at all sites and will require early ascent, especially Jupiter. This can be done nearly entirely on line in a short amount of time and does not require dives

+1 for Boynton Beach and Underwater Explorers. The reefs are gorgeous and the Castor is fantastic. The Explorer takes out only 6 divers, personal attention and no crowds

+1 on the hooded vest. In the warm months mine usually stays in the bottom of my bag, but, when you need it, makes all the cold divers on the boat very jealous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom