Wet Suit Delimma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g8trdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure this subject has been covered in other threads... but changes are happening in wetsuit design, and I am trying to decide what my next purchase should be.

We live in Florida, but are starting to do more liveaboards (1/year). Over the next couple of years, we will be doing Galapagos and Cocos. I have a 3mil farmer Jane (for a grand total of 6mil over the torso if I wear both). But THEY seem to be shrinking (I'm certain I'm not growing! :) ).... Either piece alone is comfortable (fit-wise), but both worn together cause some circulation issues in the shoulders.

I also have a 1 mil full suit that I love - I usually use it alone, or on night dives, add the jacket to the farmer Jane - and even then I find myself sweating and opening up the suit to cool off...

SO, we don't want to invest in 5 mil suits since we live in Florida. Hyperstretch offers the option of layering (3 mil Hyperstretch 2-piece layered over my 1 mil(?) for the colder waters of Galapagos and Cocos)... and Hyperstretch will "grow with me".... (not that I plan to, of course)....

So, today I went to my LDS who doesn't carry Hyperstretch, said that it doesn't have the thermal properties of neoprene (which I knew), and though he didn't have one in the store, he described a new suit with a gel-like texture ("something-flex"). Sorry for the lame description, but I have to admit I was so turned off by his attitude I didn't pay much attention (I hate it when I specifically ask for something, and am told "you don't want that" - but that's another topic...).

Then he also pointed to a lightweight dry suit, which I balked at, being in Florida, and diving mosting in the Caribbean..... But he said he wears one and swears by it - and invited me to a demo-day, which I might do just for kicks. But a drysuit just seems extreme.....

So, the question is: For those who have dived in Galapagos and Cocos, what would you recommend? I don't want to be so layered that I can't move.... But I don't want to buy something I won't wear again....

We're considering renting wetsuits (eeeew), but I don't want to go there not knowing if they have something that will really fit....

Any advice?

I have never been to the galapagos, but I do own a full length 3mm Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch suit which I wear in moderate temperatures (68-70F or higher). The hyperstretch material feels great as it stretches more than regular neoprene and fits a bit better than regular neoprene incertain areas. I don't know how much of a difference there is (if any) in the thermal insulating properties, but I wouldn't think it would matter. Given the ability to stretch, I can even wear that over my 1mm microprene without any problems.

DUI will be demonstrating dry suits in Florida Nov 8-9 and Nov 15-16. For $5, you get to dive in dry-suits under supervision, lunch, and a nifty "Test Diver" cap. One of the b4est bargains in Scuba! Go to:

www.dui-online.com and click on "dive one at your local dog rally" for more information.

You can always dive dry with lite undergarments, you know?

don

Don, Yes - the guy at the LDS gave me a flyer for the demo day. I may just go check it out - can't hurt, and it's a chance to blow bubbles.

Meanwhile, Thanks, wlo93. From what I understand, water temps range from 65-85 degrees due to the currents in the Galapagos. We are going in May. If you're comfy in your 3mil one piece at 68 degrees, maybe a 2-piece 3mil will do the job - and I was hoping that since it's the stretchy material, it would still be comfortable over my 1mm.

I picture the diving being deeper, and with currents - so we'll be doing more work than just playing manatee....so that will raise the body temp anyway. Since we'll be deeper, we won't be in the water for an hour+ on each dive either...

Yes, definitely you will have no problems wearing it over your 1 mil. My 3mm 1 piece hyperstretch is sufficient for the moderate temperatures, but keep in mind this can also vary from individual to individual - I tend to be fairly tolerant of colder temps while I've had some dive buddies who felt somewhat colder wearing the same exposure protection. I would suggest that if the water temps were in the 70s or higher, the 3mm 2 piece hyperstretch would be enough, but bring your 1 mm just in case. And definitely, you need to consider the time you spend in the water as well.

Enhansed thermal protection means more than just the wetsuit. 3 mil is a great all around weight. the next step to consider is a vest with a hood. Then I move to a 5 mil and then again the hood and vest. The next step is a dry suit or 7 mil. It just depends what works for you as an individual.
My point is don't just expect the suit to do everything for your thermal protection. Layering is good but hood and gloves are a contributoring factor.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Larry, yes - hood and gloves definitely. We have the light-weight hoods that stop at the neck now, but yes - I was just looking at some of the hooded vests. And I think there will be quite a bit of hand-over hand in currents down lines... I need to consider gloves anyway - so I'll consider thermal qualities as well. The gloves we have now, wouldn't do much in that area.

Those will take up less of the budget, and will be useful to have wherever we dive, though, so they aren't really a part of the delimma - though definitely part of the equation.

We have pretty good booties, too.... but I was going to go look to see if there is such a thing as neoprene socks...????
or is that just silly? Getting 5mm boots wouldn't be a bad investment. Nothing worse than a toe cramp.. ouch ouch ouch.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom