Wet suit thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know how much warmer a semidry wetsuit might be considered to be vs. the same suit that isn't semidry? Or, maybe the way to ask this is, does being semidry add an equivalent of 1mm to a wetsuit? 2mm?
Thx

If you can swing the cost, get a drysuit. It's slightly more work than a wetsuit but oh man it's nice to be warm in cold water.

I personally do not buy into the "special neoprene" that gets sold by some manufacturers. Well, I did (literally) but not anymore. I got my wife a fully custom wetsuit from wetwear.com. It's a perfect fit. They talked us into the 3mm because their special neoprene was as warm as a 5. Nope. It's not. She won't even dive in the Florida springs with it (72f year round). Maybe the brand you are looking at has something that wetwear doesn't.

Dive some rental suits if you can. If you can't, then just go for the 5. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in water much cooler than 70 with less than a 7mm, drysuit, or multiple wetsuits layered.

I concur. I also fell for Wetwear's pitch and had a 5mm suit with 5mm shortie to dive in S Calif and this was my coldest wetsuit for local diving I've used. Don't go for it. You need the thickness, and wearing layers does not make up for it, because water seeps in between layers. The other problem with Wetwear suits is their long zippers that let cold water in, in spite of their pitch.

Anyone know how much warmer a semidry wetsuit might be considered to be vs. the same suit that isn't semidry? Or, maybe the way to ask this is, does being semidry add an equivalent of 1mm to a wetsuit? 2mm?
Thx

Not sure on the science behind it, but I know my 6.5mm semi dry keeps me much warmer than others in 7mm wetsuits...

A friend just bought a 7mm semidry and he swears by it, he used to come out of the water blue before...now he can dive forever :)

Not sure on the science behind it, but I know my 6.5mm semi dry keeps me much warmer than others in 7mm wetsuits...

A friend just bought a 7mm semidry and he swears by it, he used to come out of the water blue before...now he can dive forever :)
I tried on a couple of semi-dries, but because of my body I couldn't get them on (and I nearly couldn't get one of them off! Took me 20 minutes and I was wearing a skin.)

I wish that I could afford one.
Keep a good eye on Ebay, craigslist etc - there is usually lots of scuba gear that gets sold on a regular basis as people leave the hobby or upgrade.

I know, despite my size (UK XXL Tall), that I could probably pick up one a month in decent condition and for only slightly more than a 7mm wetsuit. You might have to leak test it and patch it but it would still work ok.

@Painter There is one on CL in Queens at the moment (XL 7mm Diamond)- link.

Also keep an eye on the forums for sales etc (black Friday and end of season will be coming along shortly).

I've been away 2 months and assume the usual answers. Wetsuit thickness is entirely personal. See what works--maybe rent for a dive or two and estimate from that. Then buy the suits you need. I'm in a shorty at 65F water if it's 85F Air temp. Lower Air temp. and I chill. We're all different. I have a list of what I need for what water/air temps.

Back
Top Bottom